Just a Funny - One Hen Still Thinks She's a Chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WestfarthingHomestead, Sep 3, 2011.

1. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    I have two Americauna pullets, almost or just barely full-grown. They could start laying any day. They're sisters and the more timid one still treats the bolder one like her mom. At night, I look in the coop and the timid one is asleep under the bolder one![​IMG] And I'm, like, "Uh, girls, you're growed-ups now. You can cut that out and start laying eggs." Hmmm, maybe if they had a boyfriend they'd broaden their horizons?[​IMG] On the bright side, the timid one has started fighting back when the bold one tries to boss her around, so I guess they are growing up a little!

2. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll always have one chicken who is dominant - there has to be a "pecking order". If you're going to get a rooster, consider getting more hens too. With only 2 hens to service, he's likely to run them ragged!

PS One of my Araucana bantams suddenly decided to sleep under my Light Sussex, much to the LS's discomfort - but she kindly puts up with it, even though she's not the mothering kind!

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

3. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Funny girls![​IMG] Yeah, we can't get a rooster until we move out of the 'burbs, but we can get one more hen, according to municipality code. They'd probably gang up on her though, huh?[​IMG] Being sisters and all.

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Yes, very funny when they do that. I have a HUGE Buff Orpington rooster who will still burrow under the closest hen on the roost! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by