Just a funny rooster story

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by freestargirl, Dec 9, 2011.

1. freestargirl

freestargirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    NC Foothills
    We have a less than sociable rooster. Every morning, I pray that I'm quicker than him when I let them out of the coop (i've tried fighting with him, we've tried ignoring him and we've tried making him submissive. None of it's worked. I think he doesn't like my leopard print boots). My hubby works 2 jobs, so the evenings that he's working, I have to lock them up for the night. With the days shorter, we have a light on a timer, and if I go to lock them in and their light is still on, Big Red the rooster attacks then when I try to fill the food pan. So I wait til their light goes off. This evening I went down, and tried to sneak up on them. I had the flashlight, turned off in my pocket cuz I could see enough with the moonlight. I made it thru the first gate- THUMP I hear him jumping off the roost. I wait. The house gets quiet, so I attempt the inner gate- one hen comes halfway down the ramp, and another pokes her head out the door. The one on the ramp goes back in and the other keeps her head out, looking around for a minute or 2. She finally goes back in. A bigger silhouette appears out the door. DANG IT! He stands there. Not moving, staring at me with his beedy little eye. I wait a few minutes, he goes back in. I wait til the house gets quiet and I can't hear any movement. I inched closer and closer to the ramp and the chicken door. The house was quiet- I hadn't heard Red thudding around. I get where i can see in the door, I lean over slowly, knowing that Red's gonna to jump out the door and attack my face any second. I can see the food pan, and it's not too far into the coop and BANG! the flashlight falls out of my pocket, rolls down the ramp and nearly made me jump out of my skin. I threw the food in, and think half of it ended up on the floor. I slammed the door shut and am fumbling with the latch and THUMP. I made it out unscatched. Now I have to remember to clean my flashlight really well- I usually hold it in my mouth when I do evening chores...

2. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    LMBO!! THAT Is hilarious!! Very entertaining story..You should be a writer,you create a great mental picture.I can see you just chuckin' the food, slamming the gate and running back to the house! Too funny thanks for sharing:) [​IMG]

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    bahahahahaha thats funny!!! can you catch him? when i have any fighting between my two boys and have to deal with them I will grab one by the ankles and hang them upside down until the roo stops struggling then you can tip them back up and hug and rub some wattles...they wont look at you for a day or two...lol works for me..if it don't work i have heard that the meanest roos make the best friend chicken.. I can tell you how to make great fried chicken if you like! [​IMG]

4. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    My roo was getting pretty bad for awhile there. I would let him come at me and snatch him out of mid air, hang him upside down until he stopped struggling. Then I would tuck him under my arm and walk around with him until I finished what I was doing in the coop or the yard. The second I put him down I would start to try to catch him again. Took less than a week. I will still catch him eying me like he is considering it. I just start walking toward him with my hands out like I am going to catch him and he will suddenly have business elsewhere! LOL

5. freestargirl

freestargirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    NC Foothills
    We butchered (yes I used the 'B' word) our first 2 roos. They were mean as all get out. Especially Red Floyd (our current Red's bigger brother). He was tough! We made chicken n dumplins out of him. I know *how* to make fried chicken- it's one of my fave foods- just a big mess is all... This AM Red didn't even raise a single feather in my direction when I went to let them out- I delayed it as long as possible. I guess he likes being locked in the henhouse with the girls. The girls on the other hand were not very happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by