just a kind of funny post...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 95yj, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    just got back from our counties fair, Middlesex (biggest all 4h fair east of the mississippi, bragging rights) I was showing my birds (and also organizing stuff, so running around like a chicken with its head cut off, but i digress) I have a freedom ranger that escaped her fate by running away for a few days and coming back and being friendly with my mom, so now her name is lucky and we keep her as a layer. I figured i might as well bring her since our club hasn't shown any production meat birds in years, we'v only raised them and they're all gone by the fair. her under-feathers were a little gross cause she lies down alot, but other than that she cleaned up pretty good, but still she's a meat bird. She ended up taking reserve bird in show, best individual exhibit, best production (she was the only one) and she was mentioned by name in the news paper (the lowell sun if anybody from eastern mass is wondering) I almost died laughing when i saw she had won reserve bird, cause they're are some really nice birds there, and then lucky, who was $1.20 and should've been in the freezer. Just figured this board could use some amusement, and i was happy to provide....

2. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Thank You for sharing!! [​IMG]

It's nice to hear that that the under(dog) chicken does win sometimes. [​IMG]

Go Lucky! Go Lucky! Go Lucky! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lisa

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Lucky just knew she was a winner!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    LOVE IT! CONGRATS TO LUCKY! [​IMG]

5. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Kind of like a "Charlotte's Web" but with a chicken! Way to go!

6. 95yj

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i just thought it was really funny cause my show bantams that i spent a week prepping didn't get anything

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    lol it just goes to show how crazy fair judging really is, I just got back from viewing our STATE fair, where several breeds entered under the wrong breed won best in breed, a beautiful seabright trio was DQ because the male had saddle feathers, and my friends BCM's were DQ'd for having feathered legs. Who hires these people????

8. 95yj

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    our show's are actually usually really good, we get the same judges that they use in bigger shows like new england poultry congress, and we don't allow sick looking birds into the building. Thats why i was so confused, some of the kids have wikid nice birds that place well in open categories in apa shows. I think the judge was from iowa where they pretty much pick the biggest bird and call it a day...
    I don't enter in fairs other than our own, i know too many people who have lost too many birds from stuff they picked up at county fairs, i pretty much show for our 4h shows where i know all the birds and apa regulated shows.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by