Just a little chuckle, the mystery of the clucking hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WKYChick, Aug 18, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    We have our small flock of hens who are at the point of laying, so every day I eagerly wait for the sound of the egg song or the first egg. Today I was reading in our den when I heard the egg song! I knew it wasn't from our older hen because she had already laid this morning and sang her song, so off outside I go. But I stood totally baffled the sound wasn't coming from the chicken run or hen house. So back inside I go to finish my book until a few minutes later I hear the egg song again, I am determined to find out who is singing. I imagine the neighbors were starting to worry about me, I was up and down the yard, looking here and there trying to find the voice of the one singing the egg song.

Low and behold I found the singer, it was a Mocking Bird sitting up in our neighbors tree [​IMG] it was hopping around all over the place singing the egg song so it took me a bit to locate him. I gave the mocking bird a good scolding and went back to my book.

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA![​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    [​IMG]

I hate those birds. We have a flock of them that stays in the area and a pair nest in the Forsythia. Last year one sounded like a cheeping chick. I kept running out to see who had gotten lost from their mother. This past Spring the stupid thing sounded like a hawk. Everytime it called the chickens started screaming and out I went again. [​IMG]

Matt

4. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    oh my! this pair is nesting in the neighbors bushes, my husband told me that earlier in the week it was copying our female guinea fowl, we had to re-home our guineas due to their constant talking and he must not have helped their cause very much [​IMG]

when we lived in St. Louis we had a pair that nested in our bushes and they would mimic car alarms, horns, sirens, door bells [​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    [​IMG]

blue jays do that too, we have one around here that has the hawk sounds down real good, and the chickens seem to know the diff between the jay and a real hawk- we have a rescue jay that barks, rings the phone... really amazing

6. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    OY! That would drive me crazy. The bird truly lives up to it's name. UGH!

7. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I know I didn't respond to this thread...but I thought you might enjoy what your thread did to me...
    I was up until 1am listening to the calls of Mockingbirds, some other strange bird from the jungle that can make nearly any sound and that moved on to talking parrots and that moved to adorable owls.
    >_<
    Thanks!
    Awesome story by the way.
    I would like to experience that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by