Just a little discouraged today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justtoni44, Jul 10, 2010.

1. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI,

No big problems, just disappointment...........
    I purchased my first mail order eggs......6.slw's so excited because I had not been able to find them. And they were in my budget.
    One was broke when they arrived, then I dropped one when candeling.still cannot believe it, just slipped out of my hand. Today, I started to pick one up to candle it, and it just broke......left the bottom of the egg in the egg turner. I felt it happen so did not pull it all the way up.could see the membrane was not torn but imagine it is toast.
    I cannot figure that out. I did not see a crack at delivery time, inc. in a safe place where it cannot be bumped,turner was clean after last hatch????
    O well..
    Also having problems I have not encountered before...I think it may be the heat..temp ranging from 97 to 102 and having trouble with keeping the humidity level.....
    It is an LG still air.............but has worked fine till now.
    Guess I just needed to express myself.I'll be amazed if anything hatches............
    and will proably laugh about all this sometime later...
    Just on a roll....and it is not uphill.
    Thanks for being there.Cannot imagine calling my neighbor and saying."I am really upset over my hatching eggs". They would likely advise the FUNNY FARM.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

*comfort* [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I can sympathize! Hatching shipped eggs is always a gamble. Hopefully you will hatch the remaining 3. Personally I do not like clutches of 6 – I just have such bad luck with shipped eggs that I prefer my chances with 12.

I have done some crazy things – drop an egg on an egg while candling - allowed a broody off her nest with her chicks, got busy with something else and did not check her left over eggs for a couple hours, when I did one egg was pipping and another was moving, stuck the pipping egg back under her and she hatched it, the other egg is a bit behind (someone snuck an egg in the nest) and is in the bator. [​IMG]

I also hatch in a LG, mine has a fan. External temp really affects the bator, so I keep mine in an interior closet where the temp swings are minimal (actually under our stairs).

Sometimes a [​IMG] helps [​IMG]

4. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh wow, I feel for you. I wonder if the shells are exceptionally thin ? Or were the eggs a tight sqeeze in the turner (I have never used a turner). Regardless, I know how you feel, and non-chicken people just don't understand and think we are crazy. Today, after checking on my chickens I slipped and fell right on my butt. For no reason. I have had some close calls candling too. Hang in there, hopefully your remaining eggs will hatch out. My fingers are crossed for you !!

5. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    before incubation i always candle every egg, you would be amazed at the tiny hairline cracks you find that you cant see at all without candling, what i do about it depends of the egg, if its a rare breed or something exotic or exspensive the i paint a very thing layer of slightly watered down pva wood glue over the crack (not all over the egg!) this works well, if its a more normal egg then i dont bother to incubate it,
    as for dropping eggs.......................i have on more than one occasion managed to drop whole incubator trays (60 eggs) while putting the tray back into one of our large canbinate incubators!! yes it makes you feel like going and banging your head on a sharp spike! but it happens. venting frustrations like that online in a place like this is great and you soon learn your not the only muppet on the block lol [​IMG] infact if the truth be told there is a little bit of stupid mistake muppet in everyone but its sure nice to be reminded once in a while that occasionaly being a muppet is normal. good luck with the hatch and i bet its a while before you drop another [​IMG]

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I totally understand where your coming from with shipped eggs. When I was starting out with BCM's and Porcelain Duccle I bought alot of eggs until I hatched 2 Porcelain Duccle and got lucky 1 boy and 1 girl now I can hatch my own, On the BCM's I got a beautiful spoiled girl and just culled her BF after their eggs hatched (he was too big and had problems standing on legs). I am now just using broodies their hatch rate is way higher then mine.

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    *hugs* If your neighbors advise the funny farm you know you'll be ok going there because we're all there too.

I just last week was pulling out eggs to candle and nearly broke one that was for some reason sticking to my turner. I had to wet the sides and pull it out- and there was nothing wrong, nothing sticky on it, no markings. If I had been going any faster than my sloth speed, I might've broken it too. Never had that happen before!

8. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Hey Toni, Sorry to hear that. Your going to do fine as always, even with just 3 chicks. I hope the rest of your hatch goes very very smoothly!

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Chin up! It will get better!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by