1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just a look into the future preparing your flock and coop for summer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Skeeter10, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Skeeter10

Skeeter10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2015
    thought this would be a good thread due to the fact that summer is only 5 - 6 months away what do my fellow flock members do to prepare their flock for summer

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I do agree that this is a great idea. :)

I can't really speak as to what I would do because we just got our first chicks last Tuesday (they are one week old today) so haven't experienced winter or summer yet but I do know that the people that put plastic up for winter probably take it down but some people leave it up or replace it with a shade cloth. I am wondering too though if anyone ever puts ice or water coolers into the water? I know people do heaters in winter to keep it from freezing but does anyone put coolers in just to cool the birds down?

3. Skeeter10

Oct 29, 2015
    honestly i think the water stays prety cool i get mine out of a well it comes out at a prety nice temprature year around and as long as i put fresh water in every day or every other day depending on the outside temp it stays about 45 50 % with out ice or a cold source

4. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh wow, that's really nice. :) I would have thought it would get warm or gross fast but I guess if you change it regularly or keep it in the shade it wouldn't. I guess we'll find out.

5. Skeeter10

Oct 29, 2015
    thats just my thoughts

6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh no i know but you're probably right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by