Just a neighbor vent

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NHN, Oct 23, 2009.

1. NHN

NHN Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Ok I live on an acre and a half and have to share the property with a neighbor who lives adjacent to my house but about 500 ft away. My chicken area is right in front of my house but can be seen from the neighbors. Now I am a very private person but don't mind being neighborly once in awhile. Usually I am very busy though as I work from home and have several jobs.

Recently a couple moved into the adjacent house and while they seem nice enough, she is driving me nuts. She does not have a job and she must watch out the window for me to come out. Every time I go out to do anything she comes out to "chat" At first I was friendly, I figured she must be lonely, then I started getting a bit annoyed as I really am not a chicken encyclopedia and I am tired of her constant questions about my chickens. If I am the least bit friendly she will keep me outside for hours.

it's getting so I have to watch for her to leave so I can sneak out and not be way laid by her. I feel miserable as I don't want to be a total bit*h but if I'm not she will not leave me alone. Why am I and my chickens so entertaining to her? I don't watch out the window for her to come out and pounce on her about what ever she may be doing. If she is so bored why doesn't she go volunteer, or get her own chickens.

I have had the flu for 3 weeks and am only just now even able to barely function, so today I thought she was gone and i went out only to realize too late that she was home and out she comes. "Hi neighbor" was that a rabbit I say you holding the other day? I was very rude this time, told her I'm sorry I have the swine flu and cannot chat with her. But I feel really sad that I have to be like this just to have my space.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Can you give her a few chickens?? Shes just being nice to you..i'd be thankful that shes not a jerk..and complains all the time about the chickens. Try to be nice to her..
    Theres nothing better than a good neighbor..

3. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Keep doing your chores and just let her follow you around. She will probably get bored.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Rant away. Get it out. Scream if you need to.

Then realize she is probably lonely, and a lonely nice neighbor is better than a self-righteous chicken-hating demon neighbor.

5. NHN

Nov 24, 2008
    Quote:See that's just it. What makes her a good neighbor? having no life so she has to follow me around. I live here too and I should be able to go out into my part of the space and be left alone. I don't mind once in a while but every day? Every time I am outside? And she does not want chickens, I already offered to help them build a pen.

6. NHN

Nov 24, 2008
    I know you guys are right. it could be worse, but I still resent her.

7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I agree with all of the above, my dad had a neighbor once that was always talkative, annoying and sometimes friendly. [​IMG] Well, my dad worked the night shift and during the day he would try and get stuff done around the house/barn. Our neighbor came over one day and started in on my father about the water situation and my dad just blew up and told him what for. BIG mistake-he knew people at the town and from then on made my father's life a living hell. Like the saying goes, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Good luck, smile, wave and be patient! At least your neighbor is friendly!!

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:See that's just it. What makes her a good neighbor? having no life so she has to follow me around. I live here too and I should be able to go out into my part of the space and be left alone. I don't mind once in a while but every day? Every time I am outside? And she does not want chickens, I already offered to help them build a pen.

[​IMG] I have no clue how to help you...just keep be being the way you are.. I'm sure she'll get tired of it..Good luck with your nice neighbor! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  9. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Send her to BYC.

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I bet she is pretty and thin too. Darn her, darn her to heck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by