Just a pen...not a Coop & run.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by longlegz86, Nov 5, 2012.

1. longlegz86

longlegz86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Rutherfordton NC
    Ok I really dont have a Coop And Run....Mine is more of a Pen enclosure with nest boxes. I was wondering if this is going to be ok for the chickens or do I need to fix it somehow. I am going to make a smaller pen and am trying to figure out what I did wrong on this one. Thanks

[​IMG]
    And yes..my idea for the top of the boxes didnt work :(

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I love your nesting boxes :)

They will need something more to protect them from predators and the elements.

That chicken wire won't stand up against a hungry raccoon, and that tarp will tear under the weight of snow.

3. longlegz86

longlegz86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Rutherfordton NC
    I have some other fencing I was going to add on it but I think the holes in it are too big. I wasnt sure what to put on the top. I was going to add paneling like I had on the sides but that can get pricey. I guess I will have to figure out something. I was hoping I wouldnt get much snow and it would be ok. I can always clean it off...alot..LOL

Do you think they will be warm enough like this? I hear they are naturally warm and can do ok on their own...Want to make sure though........

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They will need wind cover. I wouldn't overwinter my chickens in this coop, but it gets really cold here.

[​IMG]
    If you wintered it like above, you could pull it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by