just a question i am not sure of

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmer boy, Aug 4, 2013.

1. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wondering something I have no green egg laying genes in my hens or roosters but I hatched some chicks out and one of them lays a green egg and she has a pea comb and now she is broody but she makes this siren type noise its weird but back to what I was asking .. I don't know if you can create an green egg laying hen from no green egg laying genes .. I had some ees before but they were killed and only one offspring was hatched out and he was killed by a fox so im not to sure how I get green egg laying genes from that

2. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    Well the genes have to be there somewhere. What birds are the parents of the one laying a green egg?

3. farmer boy

im not sure who the mother or father is but I have no other hens who lay green eggs but pea combed birds are popping up randomly 2 so far a cockerel and now a hen so im not sure who they are coming from

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Peacomb is dominant, so look your birds over to find which one(s) don't have single combs. Since you only have the one laying green eggs, I would expect she inherited the gene from her father.

5. farmer boy

all my rooster have single combs but two one has a cushion comb and a V-comb and I have no hens that have pea combs

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The cushion-combed boy is almost certainly the daddy. Cushion comb is essentially walnut comb: a combination of both rose and pea comb genes.

7. farmer boy

okay I thought it might be him they have his colors and he is the alpha rooster (he is a partridge chantecler)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by