Just a question on housing.(pics)updates

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annie3001, Oct 24, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello.
    This can be moved if it needs to go in another thread, coop building etc. [​IMG]
    However the question is involving ducks. our ducks share the large coop with our chickens. our windows are high for the chickens/light etc.
    I was thinking tho, should ducks (whom sleep on the floor anyways), have a window at their level? should i include a window down on the bottom?
    the windows i have arent the issue. but to make it nicer for the ducks, and so they can view the outside world, till i let them out?
    my coop is large, never quite measured it, but its three buildings all together.
    Also am i asking for predator trouble if windows are placed below.
    hope this made sense? any feedback is helpful. [​IMG]
    btw: as my other windows have proper protection, i would have hardwire cloth wiring secured and a plastic window ontop (forget what you call it) for cold/winter/rain etc.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:My ducks currently have a big window at their level and are waiting with their noses pressed against the glass in the morning because they can see the porch light come on when I come out of the house at dawn. I see the runners doing the pee-pee dance from one leg to another in excitement as I'm opening the chicken door because they know theirs is next - lol! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    okay!!!!! awesome!!!! gonna do it now!!!!!! I think its going to be perfect!!!!!! thanks!!!!!so excited to start this week!!!!
    ill have to take a picture after its complete.
    do you have a photo of yours?

4. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My ducks currently have a big window at their level and are waiting with their noses pressed against the glass in the morning because they can see the porch light come on when I come out of the house at dawn. I see the runners doing the pee-pee dance from one leg to another in excitement as I'm opening the chicken door because they know theirs is next - lol! http://www.chilled-out-gamers.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_duck.gif

Haha, ducks doing the pee-pee dance. DH and I just got a Blue Swedish over the weekend and I need to make her a little house. Would love to see more posts on this thread for housing. [​IMG]

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a large homemade dog box which had one end as a door (covered in heavy duty wire) and I was concerned about predators coming up and looking straight in at the ducks. No doubt the poor ducks would be scared simple and pile up on each other trying to stay as far from that door as possible. If they have room to move away and feel safe then I would think a lower window might be ok, but I think I prefer their ventilation to be higher up...still new at this too.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I did it!!!! I just need to add the white paint!! i cant wait for the ducks to enjoy their new view.
    [​IMG]

I didnt have to buy anything. i already had the scrap wood and hard wire cloth. i closed up the windows using plexiglass.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:very nice!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:My ducks currently have a big window at their level and are waiting with their noses pressed against the glass in the morning because they can see the porch light come on when I come out of the house at dawn. I see the runners doing the pee-pee dance from one leg to another in excitement as I'm opening the chicken door because they know theirs is next - lol! http://www.chilled-out-gamers.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_duck.gif

Haha, ducks doing the pee-pee dance. DH and I just got a Blue Swedish over the weekend and I need to make her a little house. Would love to see more posts on this thread for housing. [​IMG]

heres mine, ducks on the left/ chickens on the right. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I don't have any windows in my coop

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    really ? no windows?