Just a quick question about duck eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Elfy, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Elfy

Elfy In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    I have a broody Peking and I just candled the eggs. There are rings on the shell. A small one and a big one, it has a dark outline. Are these blood spots and the eggs are bad? They don't smell and other than the spots they look like normal development.

2. naturemom

naturemom Songster

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Sounds like a blood ring. I had 3 like that and cracked them open and the yolks were scrambled (they were shipped eggs). What day of incubation are you on? Can you see any veins? Movement? I couldn't really see anything when I candled my duck eggs on day 7, but by day 9 I could clearly see veins in 3 and blood rings in the other 3.
    Have you looked at any candling pictures? I spent a ton of time online looking at pics so I would know for sure what was what before I tossed any- I'm now doing that again because I think 1 died but I don't want to get rid of it until I'm sure.

3. Elfy

Elfy In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    I would say they are around 2 1/2 weeks. I can't see any movement. There were two earlier eggs that are half hatched. The eggs that are in the nest came a few days after the two originals. I candled them early on and thought they were yokers. Then candled them when the two started hatching, they look like they were developing. Then today I saw the blood spots. I have a feeling they are rotten eggs, but my Peking is still sitting on the nest. I think I might a few more days then candle them again. Would Mama duck know if she has bad eggs? I've seen her push out cracked ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by