Just a quick question about free ranging and being coxed away

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SouthernBornOUFan, Dec 9, 2010.

1. SouthernBornOUFan

SouthernBornOUFan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    OKC
    I'm finally getting my coop together and the idea of free ranging is sounding better and better to me. It would be of course just a few hours a day. However my neighbor on another lot directly behind me (3 acre lots) has a flock of about 30 chickens. Is it possible that my chicken(s) could try to coop with them. Kind of a "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" situation. Or will their coop they were raised in always be home?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot...couldnÂ’t decided if it was better here or in behavior.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Not sure. I've heard of this happening. But It's never happened to me because I don't have neighbors. But they do always seem to roost where I don't want them to. (on the car, in the shed, trees, etc...) haha

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    My neighbor also has chickens and they are about the same distance as yours. The only bird that has ever gone to their coop was a polish who did see all that well. I guess it might depend on typ of birds and if you have rooster or not. Lots of variables I would guess. I don't think it would be a big problem as long as their birds are healthy.

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I found out the hard way that free ranging is a one way process. I worry that mine will go into the unfenced creekbed and never come back.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My situation is a little different than yours, but...

I have two coops within sight of each other, but not all that close. Both sets of birds were introduced to their coops by being locked in for a week solid before being let out at all; actually with the big birds it was closer to two weeks.

Each flock goes into their own coop at roost time. Some of my big girls have checked out the other coop during the daytime when they are all out and about, but always return to the coop that they know and love at night.

6. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I would think the chickens from the other flock may not allow them to stay over in a "welcoming" manner.......

But who knows. My girls go up to my neighbors all the time and hang with him in his sawmill while hes working..... then they poop on his front doormat....
    God bless him for being good about it.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by