1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just a quick question on feed.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buff goose guy, May 11, 2016.

1. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hey guys, nice to see you all again [​IMG].

In my long time of raising ducks i have never had a problem with niacin until last year. I had always fed start and grow and they all did fine until last year when I did get a lame duck most likely from niacin deficiency. Now I am wondering that if I feed Purina flock raiser
    http://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/flock-raiser/
    instead of feeding start and grow
    http://www.purinamills.com/backyard-poultry/products/start-grow/
    will that provide the niacin they need instead of me having to measure brewers yeast? ( which I cannot find the proper brewers yeast anywhere )

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    there are options other than just brewers yeast, I can't think of any off the top of my head but I think they do have niacin tablets that can be mixed with their drinking water.

3. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Thanks [​IMG]

But I don't have much time to keep up with measurements tbh, and a niacin overdose is worse than niacin deficiency [​IMG].

If I supply broccoli and some green peas as snacks would they get enough niacin?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    it should be a good boost, I would try it for a bit to see if it helps if not I would add more niacin, research more ways to add niacin if the problem is not resolved.

5. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Ok no problem thank you.

6. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    Better sources of niacin are (in no particular order) cooked potato, cooked mushrooms like portabello, cottage cheese, cooked liver ( which is probably the best source!),

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by