Just a rant...and a legit question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hesklj2008, Apr 17, 2017.

1. hesklj2008

hesklj2008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2015
    So I met these people over the weekend. They were super excited to talk to me about chickens and wanted to show me their set-up and all of that. Which normally is really fun! But these people...yikes. There were SO many things wrong! Like housing 12 chickens in this little tiny shed (think the size of a large closet) with no access to the outdoors (they think they are too young-even though half or more of them are fully feathered), then their plans for their outside run are sketchy-I don't think they had any real intention of giving them a run until I brought it up! And while I am not an expert, I have had chickens for four years and have done a ton of research-I have a happy healthy flock. I felt like they really just thought they could get these chickens on a whim and it would just fall into place.

The legit question is this: how do you guys deal with people like this? I don't pretend to know everything and am always learning more-how do you tell someone that the things they are doing are unsafe and unhealthy and irresponsible at best? I swear I just want to sneak over and rescue these poor babies!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I just mention stuff I've noticed and see if they are open for suggestions. It's possible they have no clue and just need to learn. Those that get irritated you can't help. Otherwise suggesting they check out this site could help them see their mistakes.

There are plenty of folks who keep chickens in a manner I never will. Either it works for them or it doesn't and than they end up needing to fix stuff or to give up the hobby.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    About the only thing you can do is make gentle suggestions. If you come off too pushy, it will turn people off.

1 person likes this.
  4. hesklj2008

Sep 20, 2015
    @bobbi-j And @oldhenlikesdogsended up just not offering any further suggestions because I felt like they weren't open to it. The husband of the two said he was around chickens when he was a kid and that Rhode Island Reds lay white eggs was clearly not interested in any real discussions. Because he told me I was wrong even though I have RIR. *shrug* what do you do, right?

5. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    When or if they start to have problems, they might come looking for help. MIGHT. Then perhaps you can offer again. Until then, there's a lot of backward ideas out there that just want to make you shake you head, and then there's just different ways of doing things that work for one but not another. My Mom had chickens most of her adult life. She love to tell me how much I "spoil" mine. I think they are just decently cared for, and trust me... many people here on this forum have MUCH nicer facilities and go through a lot more for their chooks than I do. But they are more than just little egg factories to me, they are pets too. My Mom's chickens were never neglected, they just weren't cared for the way I would care for them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Yeah, that's a hard thing. Some people feel like they "know everything". I always say, if you "know everything" you can't learn anything. Maybe these people will gradually go through all the mistakes, and learn from them, and someday be really good at keeping chickens. But they might not, too. Hard to say. And you know, even you saying something to them won't help if it falls on deaf ears, so to speak... they have to be willing and ready to learn, and some people just never get there, unfortunately.

What I've seen happen is things start to go wrong, the people do not figure it out, and they quit raising animals. Which is for the best all around, actually.

7. hesklj2008

Sep 20, 2015

I agree-with everyone who has posted. Lots of people have way different set-ups and different ideas and even mindsets, and that's part of the joy of chickens for me. I mean, we have had lots of setbacks and had to tweak a lot of things in order to be successful, and I am constantly reading and listening because in the greater scheme of things I know only a little. What works for me is not what works for someone else. I think what bothers me is the absolute "I am right and you are wrong" mindset these people have-it's not half and white. But like you all said, there's not much I can do without coming across as an a-hole and that helps no one!

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If their birds are that crowded at some point they will experience picking and cannibalism, so at that point hopefully they either give them up or they start to look into what's wrong. Some people learn by failure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by