1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just a reminder,

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bayouchica, Mar 21, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    with the weather starting to warm up for some folks out there. Look in your nest boxes before you collect your eggs!!
    Last year I suck my hand in a nest box to find a 6 ft. long kingsnake swallowing an egg. [​IMG] I don't mind,they gotta eat too. I'll take the snake to the canals behind our property,lots of frogs for them to eat down there. [​IMG]

Yall have a good day,
    Miriam

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Miriam you do the same as we do. Relocate. Last one that was killed here is because the wife caught it with 6 freshly hatched baby cochins in its belly and well lets just say that snake couldn't be put back together again.

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Miriam,

Thanks for bringing this up. I know I would never have thought of this until I learned the hard way. Thanks for saving me from that!!!

[​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I havent lived in Indiana very long, and this is only my second year with chickens...ok....what snakes do I have to worry about here??? Ohhhhh buddy...im freakin out here! I dont like snakes...other than garden snakes...they dont scare me. ANY help on what to look for would be great!!

5. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    If you find a King Snake I would let them have some eggs. They will help keep other more unfriendly snakes away, since they eat them. Cooperheads especially.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]

When I first started reading that, I thought you were going to say you stuck your hand in a big pile of chicken poo! [​IMG]

7. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    Pipermark,
    A King snake will keep away a Copperhead? I've been warned that we have Copperheads in the area, but haven't seen one yet, thankfully (though the locals all say that Copperheads have a smell to them [​IMG]) The thought of finding any snake in with my chickens is making my skin crawl, but would rather find something more benign than a copperhead.
    Chrissy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by