Just a Reminder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hokum Coco, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

Just a reminder ; Through my own stupidity I lost a hen last night. I failed to do a head count and one I believe decided to stay under the coop. I am not sure I think a owl picked her off as the carcase was not carried away. Never noticed any tracks of any sort I will go out again at noon to investigate more.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Sorry for your loss, thank you for the reminder.

1 person likes this.
  3. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Since you didn't do a head count, she may have been killed before time to roost. Just a thought so don't be too hard on yourself.

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your hen!

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Always a real downer to lose one.
    I lost an eight month old bantam last weekend. I too failed to do the head count. I am sure she passed before nightly lockdown. She died in the run and I am convinced it was from a genetic defect. No predator has made it into my suburban run as of yet.
    DH was going to close them in tonight for me and asked how many he should come up with at head count. I told him 19 and he was shocked. He had not realized I had lost 5 now. Not all at once but one here and months later one there.

I am so very sorry you lost her. She was a pretty little chicken.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by