I have always raised my baby chicks with a 75 watt bulb in a homemade tank that I have.made. This year my wife picked up six new chicks for out kids to raise. The lady talked her into a 250 watt heat bulb which i was worried about. .but i figured i give it a try since now the kids are older we keep the house in the low 60's .Well today I decided to take the day off and good thing I did. Unknown to me my five year old took the lid off the tank when he did must have hit the nut on the lamp making it loose. About half hour after they left I smelled this smoldering smell. Thank God I was home the wood shaving was starting to smolder and few minutes more they would have caught fire. But let this just show other people those big bulbs are no toys they must be watched. I can see how you could over heat the babys quickly if not used properly. So for now on it only runs when we are home and go back to the 75 watt when we leave the house.