1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just a simple mix breed question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kevin2010, Jun 8, 2008.

1. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    every one keeps telling me that mix bred chickens are just called barnyard chickens but isnt that un true because barred rocks are domoniques mixed with black javas so what the heack i really dont care but just a question because i am going to try and hatch eggs with tuffoldhens help and i am mixing br with white leghorns br with australorps and br with red sex links i know they will be pretty another question if anyone has any of the combinations of these and a picture post it so i can see please

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi Kevin. It's fine to mix your own, but to answer your question: No, Barred Rocks are not Javas mixed with Dominiques. That's the way they were created a long time ago, but they've been a breed on their own now since 1888. Wow, that's a hundred and twenty years. [​IMG]

3. kevin2010

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    yea but does that mean if you keep mixing the same mix bred chickens they will eventually be full bred

4. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Nope. Once the breed is an official breed, you're not supposed to do an outcross to any other breeds.
    That's the way all the chicken books are written, and the way the chicken shows are judged and all that. It doesn't matter if you want to mix the chicks in your back yard, because that's just up to you, but the way other folks will see it is they will be mixed and not purebred.

5. kevin2010

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    ok it makes me sad though i wanted to invent a new bred light brahmas and br

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. seriousbill

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Aw, well, don't be sad. :aww You can make whatever kind of chickens you want. They don't have to be all "official." They can still be pretty and cool [​IMG]

7. kevin2010

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    yea im going to mix them any way just because i know they will be beautiful

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I was talking about something like this with my 90 year-old father today. We were trying to remember the sequence of chickens. You know, they aren't like people . . . generations come along rather quickly [​IMG]. We were trying to put together the story from about 30 years ago.

He had a little black bantie with a pea comb that he'd gotten from my brother. She was of unknown parentage but Bro' gave Dad the bantie and gave me her boyfriend - a beautiful SS Hamburg.

The little hen set some eggs and soon there was an identical little back pullet, just like her mom only a little bigger. Dad gave this hen to my neighbor, Hank. Hank had flock of Leghorns including a rooster. Before long, this little black hen was setting on eggs.

The eggs hatched and amongst the chicks were NINE roosters. They were each unique and, for the most part, the prettiest things you've ever seen. There were those with pea combs, those with rose combs, and those with single combs. There was one guy who looked just like his Leghorn father. Some were spotted something like Grandpa Hamburg, some were dove gray, some were gray with black bars. They were all beautiful and all different.

Steve

9. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    I asked a question along this line, but didn't get any response that i know of, so will ask it here again.

I have some black americanas, buff orpingtons, aracanas, and a barred rock. what would be a good rooster to join into this group that might produce good egg layers and good looking chicks?

10. kevin2010

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    A BARRED ROCK I AM HATCHING MY BARRED ROCK WITH 3 DIFFERENT HENS ASTRALORP WHITE LEGHORN AND RED STAR I THINK THEY WILL BE PRETTY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by