Just a simple question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cheeto, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Cheeto

Cheeto New Egg

Nov 27, 2014
    Hawaii
    Hi. I'm Cheeto and new here. I read things and it's my understanding that when building a coop that, as a rule, approximately one nesting box for 1 to 4 birds. Then I read that 12"x12"x12" is a decent size. Does that mean that all four chickens pack into one box to lay or do they just lay in the same nest, just at different times? Thanks in advance!

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Aloha Cheeto, welcome to BYC!

Usually the chickens take turns using the boxes but some like to double up. We have 4 boxes for the 14 birds that are in the coop and that is plenty. Funny, they all same to have the favorite box even though all the boxes look the same to me...sometimes I think chickens and 2-year olds are a lot alike. [​IMG]

3. Cheeto

Cheeto New Egg

Nov 27, 2014
    Hawaii
    Thanks!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

The answer is - both, sort of. You will sometimes find more than one bird in a nest at the same time, but it is just as likely that your birds will rotate in/out of the boxes one at a time....just depend on the individual personalities of the birds you end up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by