just a small funny -- vicious killer baby roo --

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amazondoc, Sep 8, 2008.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Hey y'all --

Some of you may have read of my chicken massacre yesterday. However, I still have three young bantam cochin chicks, and I thought I would share a small funny story from this morning.

The bantam cochins are about 10 weeks old. There are two pullets and one cockerel. I have been sitting with them every day, but I haven't been handling them. Today I decided I had better start handling them, so first I caught the cockerel. He accepted it well enough, and ate a couple of mealworms out of my hand. Then I picked up the larger pullet, who didn't appreciate it but was calm enough to eat a mealworm off my leg. THEN I picked up the smaller pullet -- who screamed and yelled and struggled as though I were a coyote. And the little cockerel went after me! He's about the size of a chinchilla, but he was determined I wasn't gonna hurt HIS WOMAN. And every time she complained while she was in my lap, he would threaten to get me again. It was pretty funny. He's a ferocious killer roo!

I didn't expect him to be this protective or brave at this age. What age do y'all notice your cockerels taking on guard duties?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It always depends on the roos themselves.
    My Wellie was up about 14 weeks before he got the idea. My Cochins still don't really care and some are over a year old but my EE are super defensive of their girls and have been since about 6 weeks old.
    The Barnevelders have always been protective but I got them at about 5 months old. The Faverolles have yet to notice they are even fearful. All they want to do is play, play, play. Catch them and they think your nose is a toy.
    I have just gotten different responses and even within breeds.[​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Cogburn tried to show me who was boss when he was about 2 months old I think. I'd reach in to change water or something since they were in the house and he'd put his wing down and "rooster dance" towards me. I went to a new home a few weeks ago where they don't interact much with their chickens and he has 20 ladies all to himself. Safer because he was starting to attack from the rear and try and flog anyone. He beat up Pudster and that was it, he was outta there! He's happy now though and I've visited him several times, he still dances at me.

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks for the info!

And btw, I do love that rooster dance. Very cute! One of the reasons I was so startled was that he has never acted aggressive at all when I clean the cage or feed, or anything like that. It was only when His Girl started yelling that he sprang into action. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by