Just a thought

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Oct 26, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I was reading the Bible earlier and looking for a bit of uplifting. Some days are just rough and sometimes a simple phrase can put it into perspective.

"The heavens declare the glory of God. The expanse shows his handiwork. "

So I read this and was just struck my how awesome a statement that is. I sit and I pray for all my little and big stuff. I pray for people we know, people on here, myself, and family but sometimes I just feel like maybe my prayers are just not important enough for an answer or maybe he just does not have time for something so unimportant. Then I walked outside to the most beautiful country skyline. So much detail and effort to give us something to be in awe of. Is there really a purpose to that beauty other than just lifting up our souls and letting us know he is there and capable of answering those big and small prayers? I just could not take my eyes off the sky. It might just be because I am out in the sticks that I am in awe of so much beauty but it does lift me up and I am thankful for that.

This is I guess a religious post but if you have something else that just lifts your spirits up share it. Maybe someone else can get a boost from that same thing. I think everyone can use a bit of uplifting now and then.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When I run into difficult people, John 1:5 "and the darkness does not comprehend the light"..... Says alot.

3. debilorrah

My old standard: Pobody's Nerfect.

4. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I like both of those.

5. debilorrah

Quote:Me too. The one Bible verse that I think alot of Christians forget is "Love others as you would yourself". That means to show compassion and kindness to EVERYONE regardless of sex, race, sexual orientation, etc. Be kind, please.

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I was pretty desperate tonight. I had a horrible and I mean horrible UTI. I called the doctor ( yes the one from the other post) and they cannot get me in and the other doctor I can go to said they could get me in sometime 10 days from now. uhhhhh

So I was in the car on the way to get TONS of cranberry juice and I was hurting so bad. I was desperate. I felt stupid but i turned off the radio and I prayed out loud. And much to my suprise I got relief. I have been taking pain pills I had left over for 2 days and got no relief but now I do. So I am thankful.

Thats not the point I am trying to make though. We never seem to think of asking for the small things that would mean so much, even from GOD. We don't expect the kindness of strangers or answered prayers. We should start. Hope is a beautiful thing. Just the promise of hope makes you feel better. You haven't even recieved anything yet but the hope that you may brightens your day. We got to see the results of the kindness of strangers on the forum today. It does still exist. We should hold out hope for it.Maybe while we are hoping and praying we can be the answer to someone elses hope or prayer.

7. debilorrah

I pray for small things all day long. Those that He finds beneficial to me He says yes. Those he doesn't, He says no, or later. I am good with that. I am ok with what God has chosen to bless me with. I am abundant in love, my kids are healthy, I have a roof over my head, and the bills are paid, barely. I have a good job, awesome friends and a man that loves me beyond all belief. After all that, knowing He has blesssed me with all that, how can I complain?

Though I have serious words for Eve when I get there. She cursed all womanhood.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Many years ago, I was in a deep depression and a kind of inward panic. I felt hopeless, helpless, worthless, and as if I had to stop being. Not kill myself, but just stop.... being. I sat in the dark and cried. When my then-husband was home from his 3 days as a firefighter, for four days in a row, I had to be The Good Wife and not let anything show that there was anything wrong at all.

He went to work again and I again sat in the dark, crying.

Suddenly, I became aware of ... something. "Be still, and know that I am God."

Huh? What does that mean? There's no god. But I WAS shocked into stillness. I didn't know, but I was still. No longer crying. And very confused.

Oddly enough, I went to the library to read. Reading is a pleasure for me, but had not been for a long time (during this crisis). I was just driven to go try reading again.

I happened to pick up a book by Taylor Caldwell. "The Listener."

And then I was both still, and I knew.

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I didn't expect much from the title of this thread------------so very glad I read it! Very inspiring, and just what I needed to start my Friday. Thank you all!

Heather Lynn, I have always believed the beauty in the world is God's way of speaking to those people who will never hear of him otherwise. Like, "Look all around you, how can you say I don't exist?" And I believe He put it all on Earth for simply our enjoyment----that's how much He loves us!

gryeyes, your simple story is so hugely inspiring! Don't ever stop telling others about it!

debiraymond, I really like the verse you chose-----it helps me out with a lot of "difficult" people. [​IMG]

A verse that brings comfort to me is "The Lord has established His throne in heaven, and His kingdom rules over all." Psalm 103:19 It reminds me who is really in control of everything!

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Me too. And, I know if its meant to me or me to have, it will happen. I tell people there are three answers to their life's questions. Yes, No, and Not Right Now. We have a decent income, but when DH got disabled we lost a LOT of income and still had bills to pay. We weren't in horrible debt, but nothing has gotten cheaper and I love my animals and feel that if I deserve anything else in this life, its to have the pets I want AND NEED at this time in my life. I always say to God that So-n-So needs chow, and sure enough a little BPO check is almost always in the mail within 24 hours. It took me a while to "get" that this was a Yes to not MY needs, but my animals. I have the most awesome SS teacher you can imagine. She is almost 89 years old, was actually my sister's MIL at one time, with horrific issues, (I think my sister is sore at me because I love this lady NO matter what happened in the past . . .but that is her demon to deal with, not mine.) but every Sunday I am able to go to SS, I learn something more about patience, kindness, and forgiving. I feel like this lady had a lot to forgive herself for, and she knows what to say to get the message across. . .

My DS and I was talking the other day about Frank our Pug. Frank is a Pug, he loves everyone and is so friendly and happy you just can't help but laugh at him, even when the spit is flying and the snorting is at its worse. DS has been having an issue with him when he gets off the bus, Frank wants to get on and DOES. It was funny the first couple of times he did it, but DS just picks him up and he comes right off with him, no problem. There is probably a total of 4 kids left on the bus at this time. Third time he did it, the bus driver said, "Oh, you are going to have to do something with him!" I told DS that my take on all of this was: "if that is the worse thing that happens to me today, then its been a good day." DS looked at me and said, "that is exactly what I was thinking when Gary was mad about it." I use that ALOT in this day and age. . . and I tell people this many times a day. I don't think people realize just how good they DO have it, no matter how bad it seems at the moment. I try to hard to be positive and optimistic that this thought has got me through it. Another Mother Theresa saying I love the most is: "I know God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I sure wish he didn't trust me so much." I have felt that way many times over the years, and then think "this too, shall pass."

I agree Debi, God is going to have explain this womanhood thing to me. As my oldest daughter, who just turned 39 the 26th aptly put it when she was about 12, "if this is what being a woman is all about, you can have it." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by