Just a warning! Dogs and ice...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just figured I'd post this as a warning as I was shocked and saddened by what happened in our own little town. It's not something I would ever expect to happen!

We have a small lake/pond in our town and people regularly go there to walk the path that goes around it with their dogs. Not too long ago, a man went walking with his dog and the dog went out onto the ice. Apparently the ice was thin and the dog went out too far and fell right in. The man went out on the ice and fell in himself. He managed to save the dog, but the cold water killed him before he could find a way out. Since the ice posed such a hazard to rescuers, they were not able to find and retrieve the body and he is actually still somewhere under all of the ice. The authorities are waiting until the weather warms a bit so they can get divers in the water to search for him.

That's just such a sad story. I know a lot of people would jump right in after their dogs, but it is always a smarter idea to wait for help if this should happen to your dog.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Better yet, keep your beloved dogs on leashes!

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That too! It's actually a rule at this same park and it's not enforced at all. I can't tell you how many near dog fights my family and I have almost had because my dog was on a leash when another dog came up to him OFF leash! The last time this happened, my mom was alone with our dog and the situation almost turned very nasty. The man walking his dog just wanted his dog to "meet" other dogs. I'm sorry, but my dog does not do well meeting other dogs when he is on a leash and the other is not! The man was so rude and went as far as to call my mom a "nazi dog owner". The nerve of some people!

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Oh my, how sad. [​IMG] This has happened before as I've read the stories. I agree its best to keep the dog on a leash at all times in green spaces with such hazards (I do). I'm sure the gentleman would've done so if he had an inkling this could happen. It could've been a child just as easily. So sad he lost his life but it shows how much he really loved his dog. Darn, I am getting all misty eyed....

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    THis is something we hear about every winter up here...
    Its just so sad...he saved his doggie and died... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    A similar type of incedent happed south of me. Guys were goose hunting and their dog went out on the ice. Guy went out after the dog and fell in. It was the Missouri River not a pond. He lost his life.
    Unless you are in an ice rescue suit stay on land and call 911.

7. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I read in the paper the other day about someone missing when out walking the dog? When was it confirmed that the man went into the pond?

8. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, that is probably the same incident. From what I've heard, it was confirmed that he is under the ice somewhere. At first I thought it was strange they would not have retrieved the body, but it makes sense that they would not allow divers to go under the ice for a search and rescue (Or retrieval).

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a cat yesterday walking across a "frozen" ditch, but we have had weather in the 40's after that arctic blast two weeks ago, and it had a thin layer of water on top. Poor cat started across, felt the water and was between a rock and a hard spot trying to decide to come back or go on. Finally decided to go on across, but you could tell anything that weighed more would have went right through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by