Just a weak chick or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlecabin, Jun 7, 2016.

1. littlecabin

littlecabin Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    I have a one week old, Silver Laced Wyandotte chick who is smaller and thinner than the other chicks the same age, maybe close to half the size of the others. We noticed on Sunday morning that it was laying down and not getting back up on it's own. It was eating and getting to the water just fine. Normal poop (except one time it was darker brown, i think because of the nutri-drench) very vocal and social. It just can't stand up! I do notice that it's leg seems to be sort of limp just on one side. So, it hobbles around or lays down. [​IMG]

No other chicks have had any symptoms at all (they all shipped a week ago from MPC). I have considered and researched many of the things it could be and nothing quite fits, except maybe a vitamin B deficiency or some kind of stress.

I am feeding them all organic starter feed, and the water has had Nutri-Drench for a couple of days, then Save-a-chick both electrolytes and probiotics the last couple of days. I have been giving him a drop or two of Nutri-drench alone just to supplement. I tried feeding him yogurt , egg yolk (some raw, some boiled), mashed up feed, and those in combination with vitamins. I have been doing this every hour or so for 3 days and i only see tiny bits of improvement.

What else I can do? It eagerly hobbles over to the water and food and does this by himself. When I quarantined him on Sunday he was miserable and more stressed by being separated. So when I felt like this was nothing contagious I put him back in with the others. Anyway, just needing some help to know what to do next. I don't know if keeping up the regimen is working and I keep expecting him to not make it through the night.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The Poultry vitamins and electrolytes are very good. Do some research on leg problems such as splay leg and slipped achilles tendon. Can you take a picture of how she stands? Here are some links to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chick-anyone-ever-try-to-fix-this-experiences

3. MMorganE

MMorganE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I had a chick with the same problem. I've been feeding her turkey and boiled chicken. The protein diet has worked wonders with getting her strong enough to walk again. She is inside and separated from everybody until she heals. Mine is 3 times smaller than her siblings and very shy. Never ran with the flock and got picked on frequently. Baby her. Either keep her inside or alone. Give her some canned corn kernels. Try and keep lots of protein (meats are great for this) in her diet. Mine healed after a couple of weeks. But she is still inside, just so she doesnt get further injured outside. Because she is so much smaller and "different," from her siblings- they had started picking on her a lot. How is she doing today? Keep us posted! Good luck baby chick!

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

You might want to start putting her outside with the others but seperated from them by some wire or a small cage for safety. The longer she is totally removed the harder you are making her return for her. In sight but safe keeps her as one of the flock till she is well enough to deal with them, totally removed and she may never quite reintegrate. Just bring her in at night.

I had a year old hen grew up together with three other hens. It only took a week totally seperated due to illness for then to attack her when she returned and they never returned to the same foursome they were before she got sick.

It will also help your chicks recovery as they do stress when alone so being able to see the others will reduce that too.

5. MMorganE

MMorganE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Austin, TX
    She goes outside under my supervision on a daily basis. She is not alone. Her best friend, Penguin, who is the subject to the bullies and was very stressed is with her 24-7. Luckily they are tiny chicks still. They have an entire bedroom to themselves. Once Lily is totally healed and goes outside, she and penguin will be alone, as i am getting rid of everybody else. I understand what you're saying but I cannot risk Lily having any injury setbacks right now. She gets plenty of sunlight and fun in the sun. :)

6. littlecabin

May 31, 2016
    Thank you for all the help! I am now starting to see a more dramatic improvement in her since this morning. She is overstressed during time away from the others. So I have decided she is much better off being together than separated.

I ruled out splayed leg only because I have had one other chick with that before and the leg was still strong, just not going the right way. This chick has what seems like very little strength in that leg.

The good news today was the ability to use that leg to push up to stand! So, i think something is working. I am going to keep up the extra vitamins and pray for a full recovery! She is still a little smaller, but seems to be catching up.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Littlecabin, that is good news. We all hope for an improvement. Many chicks will eat better and are so much happier with the others. Keep us posted on her progress.

8. littlecabin

May 31, 2016
    My little SLW that a week ago I thought would never make it, is now thriving! She is still a bit small and it took a day of wearing a splint after she finally got the strength back in her leg, but she is doing great. I am guessing this was a case of vitamin deficiency, but it could have been so much worse. Thanks for your help and encouragment! I will always keep Nutri-drench on hand for this kind of thing!

9. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016

That is fantastic news! Do continue to nurture her until she seems fully recovered and is able to withstand the rougher environment the rest of the flock will subject her to. Vitamin deficiency is a common problem, my Jersey Giants had issues with Vit E and it was tragic to see but also very treatable. The 3 of them that had the deficiency all made full recoveries. Early spotting of the problem is key to successful treatment. I think your little one is nearly out of the woods and we are all glad for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by