Just about to start my journey of chicken ownership!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlyK, Jun 5, 2012.

1. AlyK

AlyK Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    Hello! I am anticipating the arrival of a few chicks this week, they will be my first chickens! (other than a brief period of chick-sitting!) Through spending too much time researching breeds I have decided on having the majority of my hens be Black Copper Marans. I like their quiet, docile nature as well as their gorgeous brown eggs. I do not want to start with many, four or six hens seems like a desirable number to me right now, but my run is 20x4 so I am able to keep more. The coop in currently in the works, but the run is ready. I live in sunny AZ, so heat will be our main battle when the chicks are ready to venture outside. Their run receives very little direct sunlight, so that is great! This week I am driving out to a breeder who is gracious enough to allow me to purchase six chicks (who will be hatched tomorrow) and bring her back the unwanted ones (roos/extra hens) when they are older (she even offered to swap my roosters for hens if I do not get any, but I don't know about purchasing older ones). I wanted to start with young ones because I'd like to experience raising them as well as bonding with them! :) With my luck this will be an entire batch of roos![​IMG] However, I will keep everyone updated on the status of my new arrivals! I might have to throw in a pullet or two from a local feed store just incase I end up with mainly roos.

Anyway, I apologize for rambling! I have found this site to be a source for an abundance of helpful info, and after years of quietly lurking I finally have a reason to join! yay!

I'll post pictures of my brooder in a little as well :) it's nothing special though

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! It's very nice of your breeder to offer to swap roosters for hens. But it's very unlikely you'll end up with only roosters! Hope you get lucky and all turn out to be hens!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to byc from VA glad you joined the forum.

5. ACargill

ACargill Chirping

May 5, 2012
    Purcell, OK
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. blondvet

blondvet In the Brooder

May 19, 2012
    North Carolina
    Welcome from NC!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. AlyK

AlyK Hatching

Jun 5, 2012
    Thank you to all of you guys! So happy to see what a welcoming community this is! [​IMG] I'll have a pic-heavy post soon with the chicks, I'm getting them Thursday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: