1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just acquired two month old Araucana hens -- links to care?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmert, Jun 17, 2016.

1. farmert

farmert Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    First time raising youngsters and I want to make sure they are well protected. No problem with feed -- that came with the girls. Just wanted to read about them at this age and what to expect. I'd also like to handle them so they get used to being picked up. Is this the time to begin?

Do I need to keep them separated from adult hens? I also have two White Delaware and one Silver-Laced Wyandotte. They are eleven months old.

Any references, advice or experiences from any of you will be very much appreciated.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Most people brood their chicks separate from adult chickens, but many of us are beginning to see the wisdom of brooding chicks along side adult chickens so the chicks will learn from the adults and be accepted by them from the beginning.

This makes it much easier to integrate them with the flock, and they can begin this process much sooner, as early as two or three weeks.

I wrote an article with photos describing all the many benefits, linked below this post. It's the one on brooding outdoors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by