Just added 2 hens and noticed black bugs on hen - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sturek, Aug 14, 2010.

1. sturek

sturek New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    I have 2 hens and 3 big chicks, and I just got two hens that are 2 years old. I noticed black bugs on the 2 new hens crown, neck and around the eyes - they are about the size of fleas, but they don't move or jump - I had to pull one off with tweazers. What are these and how do I get rid of them? I saw photos of mites on the web, but these black bugs are bigger than mites. I noticed the bugs about 20 minutes after I brought them home and have quarantined them.

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    They could be ticks. Get some Sevin dust on your birds.

3. sturek

sturek New Egg

Aug 14, 2010
    would they look like tics that dogs get? they don't look like that. They are "stuck" on the birds. Do I just rub the dust on the tics, or all over the chicken? Should I spreadh diatomacious earth in the coop?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    DE is good at drying. It will not treat an infestation. It may help prevent one. Since you have bugs that appear stuck on the birds, ticks does seem to be a liklihood. I would recommend using ivermectin pour on on the bird, I would probably be temped to put a tiny tiny bit on the visible bugs.

5. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Deer ticks are really tiny - they don't look that much like a wood tick. Well I suppose they do, but you'd have to examine them under a magnifying glass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by