1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just added 5 hens and one roster to the flock. Should I treat the flock against parasites (internal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by turkeybirdeld, Oct 22, 2013.

1. turkeybirdeld

turkeybirdeld New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Just added 5 hens and one roster to the flock. Should I treat the flock against parasites (internal and external)? I haven't seen anything on my original girls. The new additions do not like being handled yet, so I haven't been able to get a really good look at them. They all look to be in great condition. But I wonder if it would be a good biosecurity to treat everyone in the new flock as a baseline for internal and external parasites. Any suggestions of good products?Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good biosecurity would be a quarantine period when bringing in new birds. At the very least, handle the bird when you pick it up at the source and inspect for lice/mites and condition. Not doing that, then do so when you pull each one out of the cage at your place.

Chickens will have worms if they go outdoors and the new birds probably won't have much impact from a worm perspective.

It would probably be a week or two before any mites on the new birds would show up on yours.

I wouldn't prophylactically treat for any unknown condition.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with a quarantine period with any new birds for 30 days. Since you can't see worms I would worm with a broad spectrum wormer such as Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer, and repeat in 10 days. You can catch them on the roost at dark. At the same time check slosely for mites and lice around the vents and neck. Watch for any respiratory symptoms. Since new birds may not have immunity to the coccida strains in your yard, and the old birds can be exposed to a new one from the new birds, a preventative treatment (1/2 strength) of Corid might be something you would want to do when the flocks are merged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by