Just added fertile eggs under broody Silkie...now what?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StephanieD, Mar 12, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    We added 6 fertile eggs this afternoon under our Silkie, who's been broody for 2 weeks now. The man I purchased them from said that they will hatch on this Tuesday!! He says he has it down to a science?~? So....now what exactly do I do? All I need is to get some started feed, right?

~How old do they need to be when I set out the starter feed?
    ~Are the instructions on the starter feed clear and understandable?
    ~When do I leave the coop open for Silkie and chicks to go for their first walk?
    ~Should I keep the coop open all day? For the others to lay eggs?
    ~I would like to avoid a brooder coop, is this possible?
    Thank you Thank you [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Once they are all fluffy mom will bring them out. I don't know about directions on the feed. I guess that depends on what type you buy. Do they have a run area or just a coop. Other hens might be mean to them but you could watch them and see on how the others behave. You may need to separate them or may not.

[​IMG]

3. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Most feed doesn't really have much of anything in the way of instructions. Just get a chick feeder (and a waterer) and keep food and water near them 24/7. Mom should show them what they need to know.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    make sure you get them on chick starter feed as their tiny tummies can't handle processing cracked corn by itself yet...and they don't need high calcium so layer feed is out too...also make sure they can't fall into the waterer or sit in it as chicks will drown themselves for some fool reason. Otherwise, mom will take care of the rest! Congrats and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: