Just added some new features to the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrestedGirl, Sep 6, 2011.

1. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I just a made 2 bucket nesting boxes and the hens are loving them. I got the idea here on BYC [​IMG] It is a great and inexpensive way to make some nesting boxes! we also added a little perch we got off of an old nesting box [​IMG]
    If any one has trouble on finding what to use to hang up a hanging feeder you can use a double sided metal latch, it also makes it easy to take the hanging feeder off to clean. Here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    the bucket nesting boxes with the perch from the old boxes
    [​IMG]
    the old nesting box
    [​IMG]
    the double sided hook i use for all my hanging feeders, i got them at TSC
    We plan to make some more nesting boxes this weekend [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
  2. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    Fantastic! I am on my second type of nesting box, and they still don't like it. [​IMG] Going to try the bucket tomorrow...thanks for the great idea. [​IMG]

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Congrats!!! I'm sure theses will work, im happy for you [​IMG]

4. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    I am starting to love the idea of buckets for nest boxes - Your's look really nice, are they attached to the wall? I'm trying to figure out how to make the buckets removable for cleaning but stable enough so they don't roll around. BTW, I use the double clip to hang my feeder too! My husband suggested it and it works great!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Love the buckets!

6. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

A WORD OF CAUTION when using buckets, remove the wire bail handle as chickens can manage to get head stuck between bail and bucket and get strangled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by