1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just an idea...

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by JamieandShady, May 30, 2007.

1. JamieandShady

JamieandShady Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Oak Hill TX
    Hey,
    I'm a newbie and I am overwhelmed at the breadth of knowledge on this forum! You people are smart! And I was just thinking...since chickens are great for gardeners (eat bugs, make fertilizer etc) most of you must have some gardening knowledge, and there should be some sort of gardening folder on this site...I know I have many questions such as how long should you wait for the chicken poo to decompose before you put it in your garden etc...

Just a thought.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Welcome to BYC Jamie and Shady!! Glad you found us! I don't have a vegetable garden...only flowers...and those are fa-ar away from where my chickens hang out! They free range out back and I don't try to grow anything there! Flowers are out front or on balcony. [​IMG] Soo, I just wanted to say WELCOME! Oh! I live in Oak Hill, too...Oak Hill, Virginia, that is!

Ellen

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hiya and welcome to the BYC. Chicken poo is considered "hot" and should not be put directly on a garden. It is also high in nitrogen, and will cause the plants to grow, but not produce veggies. Composting the poo and straw, or whatever you use for litter in the coop is a better idea. I compost mine all summer, then in the fall, till it into the garden.

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

That's sounds like a doable thing (creating a gardening section). I'll run it by the other mods and see what they think. I personally think it would be a great addition and would tie in really well with the other content on the site without detracting from the main focus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by