Just another beginner

DonT

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Hey people,
My name is Don and I'm a retired home remodeling business owner who recently moved from the north, New York, to be exact, to the Blue Ridge Mountain area of VA. Finding myself with a lot of extra time on my hands, besides all the fishing I can do, and my love for fresh eggs, I decided to give chicken (egg) raising a shot. Waiting for the warmer weather to move in, I have already started drawing plans for a chicken coop. As I have over an acre of property, I decided to free range my chickens, My biggest problem at the moment is deciding how big and how many chickens I want. I have a few friends down here and figured i could also make a buck or two selling fresh eggs, so I guess the first step is to decide how many chickens.....hope to hear from others with suggestions

Hello Don! Welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us! welcome.gif

What a nice way to spend some of your extra time! I wish you the very best. I know others will be able to provide a variety of links and suggestions that will be more appropriate for you.

I thought 5 would be a nice number. 150 or so is where I ended up with. :lau
That might be a bit of overkill in your situation...lol. :D

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

Hey people,
My name is Don and I'm a retired home remodeling business owner who recently moved from the north, New York, to be exact, to the Blue Ridge Mountain area of VA. Finding myself with a lot of extra time on my hands, besides all the fishing I can do, and my love for fresh eggs, I decided to give chicken (egg) raising a shot. Waiting for the warmer weather to move in, I have already started drawing plans for a chicken coop. As I have over an acre of property, I decided to free range my chickens, My biggest problem at the moment is deciding how big and how many chickens I want. I have a few friends down here and figured i could also make a buck or two selling fresh eggs, so I guess the first step is to decide how many chickens.....hope to hear from others with suggestions
hey there....i al o am a new chicken owner..i ordered my hens from McMurray Hatchery...they were awesome. delivery was smooth, clear from Iowa to wellsboro PA in just under two days. All 15 chicks were happy and healthy. This was last April (2016) and they are big and healthy and laying everyday..,nice big brown eggs. My 3 Red Stars give the biggest brownest eggs ever! Almost everyone is a double yolker!! I have 8 Buff Orphingtons and 4 Barred Rocks...all of them are great birds, very dosile and friendly. I have handled them since i got them. And i let them free range everyday for a couple hours close to dusk..they follow me right back into the run with just a few "here chick chicks" and some scratch grain...plus twice a week i give them live mealworms..they will fly and run towards me quickly if they know i have worms..they loooove them. When you build their coop..s.tart from scratch and build it up off the ground with plenty of room in the run for them go get out and enjoy the outdoors everyday..even when it snows,..mine have the choice of going out and so far this winter they have only chosen to stay in the coop twice! One strong word of advice (wish i would have known this) take your food dishes (that you should hang up about head height for themt o eat from) inside everynight...waterer too or you will have RATS!!! Dont be fooled...you will have rats as long as there is food on the ground orleft out for the night....i wasnt aware of this until a few weeks ago and now i have many many rats!!! ughhhhh!! and nice fat ones too...omg!!! they have been helping themselves to the feeders even though i have them hanging from the floor...i didnt take them in at night!!!! Now i have had to resort to poison..and they are smart..i got the TomCat kind and put it in a baitbox...but my big mistake was to take some extra chunks of the poison and put it inbetween the wall and nest box (where i knew my chickens would not get it)...well guess what..those "dirty rats" took some of the peices and put them in the nesting boxes...i luckily found them early this morning only because i have a "cam" (best 32 dollars i ever spent) its an icam from Amazon..i can see inside the coop day and night and even when im not home from my smart phone)...invest in one..it will save you much time if you have rats or some other type of vermin or predator in your coop at night..the cam does not bother the hens at all..they sleep all s nug all night..(i know, ive watched them..lol) Just wanted to tell you about my NOW problem with the rats...ughhh..hoping i can get rid of them..oh and get some outside cats..most people i knwo that have chickens are now telling me they have NO rats due to o utside cats....im going cat shopping soon!!! good luck to you..and yes the eggs are so good..my family and friends love them as well....my best..Rebecca!! if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask...:)

hey there....i al o am a new chicken owner..i ordered my hens from McMurray Hatchery...they were awesome. delivery was smooth, clear from Iowa to wellsboro PA in just under two days. All 15 chicks were happy and healthy. This was last April (2016) and they are big and healthy and laying everyday..,nice big brown eggs. My 3 Red Stars give the biggest brownest eggs ever! Almost everyone is a double yolker!! I have 8 Buff Orphingtons and 4 Barred Rocks...all of them are great birds, very dosile and friendly. I have handled them since i got them. And i let them free range everyday for a couple hours close to dusk..they follow me right back into the run with just a few "here chick chicks" and some scratch grain...plus twice a week i give them live mealworms..they will fly and run towards me quickly if they know i have worms..they loooove them. When you build their coop..s.tart from scratch and build it up off the ground with plenty of room in the run for them go get out and enjoy the outdoors everyday..even when it snows,..mine have the choice of going out and so far this winter they have only chosen to stay in the coop twice! One strong word of advice (wish i would have known this) take your food dishes (that you should hang up about head height for themt o eat from) inside everynight...waterer too or you will have RATS!!! Dont be fooled...you will have rats as long as there is food on the ground orleft out for the night....i wasnt aware of this until a few weeks ago and now i have many many rats!!! ughhhhh!! and nice fat ones too...omg!!! they have been helping themselves to the feeders even though i have them hanging from the floor...i didnt take them in at night!!!! Now i have had to resort to poison..and they are smart..i got the TomCat kind and put it in a baitbox...but my big mistake was to take some extra chunks of the poison and put it inbetween the wall and nest box (where i knew my chickens would not get it)...well guess what..those "dirty rats" took some of the peices and put them in the nesting boxes...i luckily found them early this morning only because i have a "cam" (best 32 dollars i ever spent) its an icam from Amazon..i can see inside the coop day and night and even when im not home from my smart phone)...invest in one..it will save you much time if you have rats or some other type of vermin or predator in your coop at night..the cam does not bother the hens at all..they sleep all s nug all night..(i know, ive watched them..lol) Just wanted to tell you about my NOW problem with the rats...ughhh..hoping i can get rid of them..oh and get some outside cats..most people i knwo that have chickens are now telling me they have NO rats due to o utside cats....im going cat shopping soon!!! good luck to you..and yes the eggs are so good..my family and friends love them as well....my best..Rebecca!! if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask...:)
oh..i now take in feed and waterer everynight and try to clean up any spillage the chickens have done...(almost impossible, but i dont want to leave anything behind...starving rats out is another eay to ensure they will move on )

Back
Top Bottom