Just another EE, what sex am I?

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
I bought these from Ideal as pullets but Im thinking one is really a roo. What do you think? They're about 9 weeks old right now. They were born on Feb 15th.

This is the best that I could get of them side by side. Notice how the one on the left the tail is more upward pointed. While the one on the right is pointed straight out.
Differenttails.jpg

This is the one I think is a pullet.
eastereggerpullet.jpg

And this one is the one I think is really a rooster. His comb seems to be bigger than the other EE. Its not red, but it is a lot pinker/redish then the other ones.
eastereggerroo.jpg

I agree with you, that tail does look rooish and the comb is rather large for a pullet. I would wait a few more weeks to be sure but I say cockeral

I agree with KLF. The second one does look roosterish, but you need to wait to be sure.

I agree with you on the first one - definite pullet.

Ignore the direction of the tails though - One of my EEs had a tail that went up and the other had a tail that stuck straight out - both were pullets and are now laying eggs.

I can't tell from the pictures, but I would catch him/her and check the saddle feathers. If it's a rooster, they will just be starting to come in, and probably be brightly colored. If you don't find any, then probably a pullet. I don't see a distinct difference in the comb color of the two chickens. By color, both look like pullets to me. My roosters with the pea combs will usually be much redder than that by 9 weeks.

This is Radcluffe: when we first moved in (she came with the house) she was skinnier but she still had that long tail, so she looked more like your one in the second set of photos.
radclyffe.jpg

And she has a really good-sized comb:
radclyffe2.jpg

EE's are apparently very tricky! I say give her a little longer and continue to watch her behaviour around your hens, around you, etc.

I keep hearing the reference 'saddle feathers' and have asked but haven't gotten an answer.

I too have a questionable EE that is now 9 wks old and the only chick with a pea comb and funny squack.

He/she is the only one with the long wing feathers at the ground side that are curling up over the back at the tail feathers. Are those the saddle feathers?

Back
Top Bottom