We have these posted regularly, and I am 100% aware of the dangers of heat lamps when I use them. I just wanted to post another reminder for folks to see of the kinds of things that can go wrong with heatlamps. I know most stories have to do with them starting fires because they are too close to bedding, short out, or fall. This story is a bit different. I had a 100 watt heat lamp bulb, zoo med brand, in a Ceramic socket reflector. It is connected two different ways to a secure overhead beam. The only way it would fall is if someone intentionally cut or burned through the cords, or unpicked the knots. It's only 100 watts and far up off the bedding. No concerns of fire that way. However, I went out one day this weekend and found the glass part of the bulb lying on the ground in the pen & the metal part, complete with elements, still in the socket. The glass parts literally separated, 100% & the elements came out of the inside, perfectly neatly. The glass hit the wood pellet flooring, and fortunately, stayed in one piece. Had it been a concrete bottom, or a longer fall, it might have shattered in the bedding. I'm fortunate that this didn't happen, since it means no glass pieces got eaten by my birds. I have had this lamp around for a while, and it's seen a lot of hours of use. I'd moved these birds up to adult quarters a week ago & was using the heat lamp as a temporary transition for them during cold nights. It was only going to be used a few more nights. I think that I am going to fashion a wire mesh grill - not just the wire pieces that come with the lamp. I'm hoping this will catch any big glass pieces should this happen again. I'm just glad this happened NOW, not when I had babies under that bulb!