Just another heat lamp warning...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rozzie, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    We have these posted regularly, and I am 100% aware of the dangers of heat lamps when I use them. I just wanted to post another reminder for folks to see of the kinds of things that can go wrong with heatlamps. I know most stories have to do with them starting fires because they are too close to bedding, short out, or fall.

This story is a bit different.

I had a 100 watt heat lamp bulb, zoo med brand, in a Ceramic socket reflector. It is connected two different ways to a secure overhead beam. The only way it would fall is if someone intentionally cut or burned through the cords, or unpicked the knots. It's only 100 watts and far up off the bedding. No concerns of fire that way.

However, I went out one day this weekend and found the glass part of the bulb lying on the ground in the pen & the metal part, complete with elements, still in the socket. The glass parts literally separated, 100% & the elements came out of the inside, perfectly neatly. The glass hit the wood pellet flooring, and fortunately, stayed in one piece. Had it been a concrete bottom, or a longer fall, it might have shattered in the bedding. I'm fortunate that this didn't happen, since it means no glass pieces got eaten by my birds.

I have had this lamp around for a while, and it's seen a lot of hours of use. I'd moved these birds up to adult quarters a week ago & was using the heat lamp as a temporary transition for them during cold nights. It was only going to be used a few more nights.

I think that I am going to fashion a wire mesh grill - not just the wire pieces that come with the lamp. I'm hoping this will catch any big glass pieces should this happen again. I'm just glad this happened NOW, not when I had babies under that bulb!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    That mesh grill sounds like something I should look into.......................great idea, thanks

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Yep, I thought I might try to fashion it out of 1/4 inch hardware wire, or perhaps something finer. I'm thinking of making a big dome shape, so that if it somehow something DID fall (which should be impossible short of a tornado or some other natural disaster) it would still keep the bulb a few inches off the ground. Something finer would keep more bulb pieces from falling through if another bulb exploded.

Clarification: the light was inside a roofed, partly heated structure, so there is NO WAY anything got wet. The surrounding air temp did not drop below 50.

4. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    glad you posted this warning.....i can't tell you how many times this has happened for me also. i have ruled out many things of how it could of happened & beginning to wonder if it just isnt the quality of glass used in bulbs..cheaper brands.?? i just once again had it happen..twice this month..both bulbs from same pkg. i have a pile of heat lamps i just cant seem to get the broken bulb removed from base..( the end screw in piece ) replaceing gets costly..but.. have also noticed it is happening more & more each year.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    That happened to me as well, but I just changed lamps. The one I have now is more reliable but it still blows quite quickly compared to my old one [​IMG]

6. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    soap&eggs :

glad you posted this warning.....i can't tell you how many times this has happened for me also. i have ruled out many things of how it could of happened & beginning to wonder if it just isnt the quality of glass used in bulbs..cheaper brands.?? i just once again had it happen..twice this month..both bulbs from same pkg. i have a pile of heat lamps i just cant seem to get the broken bulb removed from base..( the end screw in piece ) replaceing gets costly..but.. have also noticed it is happening more & more each year.

There are several methods for removing the screwed in part. A pair of fine needle nose pliers will let you wedge the tip in between the bulb bits and the lamp casing. You can then get a hold and twist it out. It may mangle up but it will come out. There is also the old fashioned way of cutting an appropriate sized potato in half and jamming it into the socket. Twist and most screw- ins will come loose.​

7. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    thanks eggbuster..i will try the potato method tomorrow..already tried the pliers..yep it twist & curls..and makes a mess & still unable to get out. waiting for son in law ..with muscles .. to tackle for me when he comes over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by