Just another question about an odd rooster and some of his odd behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CherishHolland, Oct 15, 2013.

1. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Let me set the back story

I have an EE roo who we call Festus,he was given to us about 5 months ago. I wanted to add him to my flock of EE pullets so I did the slow introduction through a divided run and after 2 long weeks I decided to try to add him to the gals. Apparently the EE gals had different thoughts and attempted to beat the crap out of that poor roo, so I pulled him out and put him in the divided part of my main run which consists of my layers,I knew from get go that they were not going to accept him,as they were trying to beat him up through the chicken wire divider. By now I am running out of options on where to place this guy. So instead of continuing to move him from flock to flock;we decided to build him his own place,which is still in progress, so for now he goes out to the tractor during the day and inside to sleep at night. We let him out to his tractor around 6am. Well this morning I kept him in for an hour longer than usual as the temps were really low this morning,while I was getting ready to take the kids to school Festus comes into my room. I have 2 cochin chicks(3 wks old) and 6 leghorn chicks(2 wks old) in a brooder,Festus proceeds to jump into the brooder; and grabs one of the leghorn pulllets and takes off running with her in his beak.So this all leads up to my question(s) A:What the heck was Festus going to do to my little pullet? Is this normal rooster behavior because my other roos have never done anything like that. Why would he grab a chick and run? I am stumped with this guy none of my flocks accept him and when we try to introduce a female to him he walks off. He also has this fascination with my son's stuffed animals he likes to ummmm mate them to put it nicely. I am serious he will walk to the toy box and pick his victim then carry it off,he tidbits to it and then mates it. I have washed many a toy and finally just broke down and gave him his own private teddy bear. I want nothing more than for this guy to be with the flock but no one accepts him. Thanks and sorry for it being lengthy.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First off, unless there is blood drawn, you could have left him with the hens. They will beat him up some, but again, as long as they are not causing him to bleed, let it work out. They are teaching him manners and letting him know they are above him. In time, he would rise to the top of the pecking order.

I do not know why he came and grabbed a chick, but he will likely kill it. I would not tolerate this behavior in a rooster. My roosters are very good with chicks.

Chickens are social animals and do not do well alone. He needs some friends.

3. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    The hens managed to tear one of his wattles open that is the reason I pulled him out of there because they were relentlessly beating him, I let it go on thinking it would work out but when I seen him bleeding,that is when I removed him. (from both flocks)

It shocked me when he grabbed the chick,first time he has ever done this in the 5months that we have owned him and he had been around several chicks this summer but this morning I am unsure what flipped the script in his head. He is usually a calm gentle guy. I am a firm believer of treat your hens like pets and your roosters like chickens. Yes my roosters may have names but I don't go around picking them up and loving on them like I do the hens,heck only time I pick up a rooster is if he has been hurt or it is time for him to get his once over check up for the week other than that I leave them be. I know that chickens are social creatures hence why I am so anxious to get him in with my EE flock, but now I am unsure after this morning's shenanigans. Just trying to figure out what I should do with him. Thanks for your advice and input.

4. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    Would anyone know if a HEN would mount anothet hen and act like they r mateing or if this is really a roo.

5. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    do you have a picture of your chicken in question?

6. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    I will get one tomaro.

7. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    just an update I have successfully added my EE roo to the bachelor pin! I am one happy camper now that Festus has a flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by