just asking advice from someone more knowledgable

eddie w

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
i have 8 rir chicks they are a week old it is about 60 at night and 80 to 85 during the day how long shouls i leave them under the light?
thank for any help i can get!!

They start out needing 95 degree temps and decrease 5 degrees every week afterward, so at 2 weeks they can withstand 85 degrees. I would leave the lamp off during the hottest part of the day, but on during morning, night and afternoons for a few more weeks according to age and their temp needs.

Where I'm at, it's in the 30s and 40s at night and in the 50s during the day. I put my chicks out in their coop at 4 weeks old but still had the heat on them. Now at 6 weeks they are let into the pen during the day and depending on the temp at night they may or may not have the heat lamp. The heat lamp is enough to keep the chill out of the coop. They are close to being fully feathered at 4 weeks so with your temps, 4 weeks should be good. But use your better judgement on using the heat lamp after that.

thanks this was what i thinking from what i had read but first time raising chicks just wanted to make sure i do my part

I would let them stay under the light at least two more weeks some will say more.. they chill easly and will catch a cold and die so its better to be safe then sorry.

Back
Top Bottom