Just at the dreaming stage

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SaintFidgeta, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SaintFidgeta

SaintFidgeta New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Hi All - My name is Sarah, and I live in Tulsa, OK. My husband, two sons (ages 9 and 6) and I are just in the dreaming stage about getting some backyard fowl -- probably either some coturnix quail or two ducks. Nothing against chicken, haha! But for us the choice is more about, "Do we want something that we'd keep in a pen 24/7 and not bond with because we'd be eating them eventually? Or do we want cute pets that also lay eggs and eat bugs?" And if it's the latter, then our boys are drawn more to ducks than to chickens. That's all. :)

This recent interest in raising backyard fowl partly has to do with the fact that the two houses across the street from us are raising chickens successfully, so it showed us that it can be done. It also has to do with my husband and I learning a bit about permaculture and finding the idea attractive. My husband's always had a green thumb and enjoyed raising both ornamental and edible plants, indoor and out. Meanwhile, I'm a lifelong animal lover, and I tend to find weeding tedious. So permaculture really suits the combination of our personalities!

This would be our first experience with outdoor animals, but inside we have a regular dog, an ongoing series of foster dogs, a Maine coon cat, a tank of fish, and are about to add two guinea pigs and eventually a salamander to our menagerie.

I probably won't have a lot to say until I get started, but please know that I've learned so much from lurking and reading everyone's comments. So I'll just take this opportunity to say "thank you" and then fade back into the background for now. :)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Ducks are too cute to eat too!

3. SaintFidgeta

SaintFidgeta New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh, totally! If we kept ducks they would be pets! If we kept quail... well, uh... they'd be a valued and tasty part of our backyard ecosystem. :)

Thank you for the welcome!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sarah, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you with us! Good luck as you plot your poultry strategy!

5. SaintFidgeta

SaintFidgeta New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks very much -- that's so kind of you to say! :)

6. nesther

nesther Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Hello. My name is Vanessa and I love animals I joined yesterday. I am a proud member! I am eleven yrs old. I only have one hen and her name is Nesther and that's wh that is my username. I live in a small town in Ontario, Canada

7. SaintFidgeta

SaintFidgeta New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Hello Nesther! Nice to meet you!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. SaintFidgeta

SaintFidgeta New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you so much! So am I! :D