Just because I'm a chicken keeper...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gomes Bantams, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Gomes Bantams

Gomes Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

...it dosnt give people the right to be a bunch of jerks. Now no one on here is mean to me but my relatives who don't have chickens, kids at school and my math teacher do.

They say and do these...

1. Eat chicken in front of my face(oh well, I eat chickens too, but it gets annoying.)
    2. Say they'll shoot my chickens.
    3. Beat me up and call me names. If you want to know what they are, PM me.
    4. Tell me that my chickens are useless pieces of meat that are stupid(Good ol' math teacher.)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ I want to hit them all in the face and call it even. What do I do?:(

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    That's is annoying! [​IMG] If they are relatives, don't invite them to your house again....I guess just ignore the other people.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Your right, it doesn't give anybody the right to act like jerks. One might not be surprised by such behavior from kids who haven't been raised or taught any better but certainly not from one of your teachers! I am sorry you have to deal with whoever these other people are. It sounds like there is more going on here then just you owning chickens. I am assuming that some of these people, namely the ones doing the beating up, are kids at school? Is there someone close to your situation such as a parent or someone at school you can discuss some of this with who might help you come up with solutions or ways to deal with it? People beating you up, calling you names and threatening to shoot your chickens is not ok and not something you have to tolerate.

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear you have to deal with such ill mannered, immature and ignorant people. I guess we all do from time to time. For sure, saying anything back to them isn't going to change how they think. Although a well timed, "I didn't ask for your ignorant opinion" might make you feel better as saying nothing can be tough sometimes. Just realize how much joy and beauty they are missing out on because they can't think of anyone but themselves. Heaven forbid they think of animals needing the very same things they do. Then their ego-fed ideas of superiority would be challenged. Know that you are amazing, intelligent and have a bigger brain and heart than these people do.

These aren't people who's approval you need, they certainly aren't worried about making you feel understood or welcomed. Avoid them if you can. If you can't make it clear you're not interested in their pathetic viewpoint and enjoy being able to have chickens in your life.

Wishing you luck. It's not easy dealing with people who haven't evolved enough to see past common misconceptions and social dogma.

[​IMG]

5. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Thought you might need a smile! The people who are making threats, beating you up and calling names are BULLIES! You need to let someone at school know what they are doing and saying to you. Please talk to your parents or a teacher you trust. No one should have to put up with a bully!

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    You are being Bullied - Teasing about Chickens is no different then being harassed for any other 1 million things people are ignorate about may i suggest you take the high road and ask the Math teacher If you having a hobby threatens his psychological superiority - when he stands and stares because you went there - smile and say I thought so ----- The kids your age that are teasing you are jealous: they are kids whose parents are too busy to help them with a hobby -They are saying these mean things to you about your birds because they are sad little people who are not loved enough -- If they lay hands on you - It falls under most schools Anti Bullying Policy - Use that to protect yourself --- and remember you have all of us as chickens buddies how many friends do they have ?

7. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Point out to them you are in very good company people like Martha Stewart and Sandra Bullock keep chickens.

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Some people are just jerks, and there isn't anything you can do about that. As you might have guessed from my name, I breed rabbits; 5 different breeds, with pedigrees and all that jazz. How do you suppose I felt when someone suggested that I turn them all loose, and let people pay me to come here and shoot them? How about when I tell you that the "someone" was my father -in-law (hubby and I had been married for a dozen years at that point)? I just consider the source, and don't even dignify that sort of thing with a response. Just shrug and walk away - it tells them that they can't get at you that way, so they'll leave the subject alone.

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If you have the option, meaning that if you have your own transportation, when confronted by jerks, just leave and go home at once. If you can't do that, just walk away and refuse to respond to or interact with them.

10. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    The more you let them know how much it bothers you, the more they will do it. It is difficult to do, but leaving it alone, walking away, and not saying ANYTHING to them will eventually cause them to lose interest. They enjoy it because they know how to push your buttons and this is obviously something you are passionate about. Staying away from them is the best option, and not saying anything back to them when you can't stay away from them will prevent them getting enjoyment out of this type of pathetic behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by