Just been given a HUGE Incubator! A blessing or a curse?!?! lol

encmanerabbitry

Songster
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tilbury, ON
I've just been given an older style cabinet style incubator. It holds 1000 eggs!!!!!!
ep.gif
*Picks jaw up off ground*
I don't really have much to put in it. And finding eggs in canada is next to impossible!
So I'm wondering is this a blessing or a curse? lol
I already suffer from ilovechickensitis and havetohatchitis.

Now I'm going to suffer from havetofindeggsforbatoritis! Symptoms may include: hair loss, insomnia, constant chicken-on-the-brain, bingo bum (from sitting at the computer all day looking for someone with eggs), nail biting....etc.
lau.gif

I've never used one of these style incubators before. Can I put all different eggs in it? Like chicken, duck and quail? Or should I stick to one thing? What's everyones likes and dislikes about these models?

**Edited for typos, apparently when you have havetofindeggsforbatoritis, you can't spell either.**

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new gift! How fun! You could start your own home hatchery if you wanted. As for sticking to one type of egg, I would think that would be the smartest thing to do because chicken, duck, and quail all have different incubation periods. I don't know anything about the large, cabinet style bators but I do know that in the small, foam ones you have to stop turner on a certain day and bump the humidity for he hatching. I would think it would be the same for the cabinet style bators, but like I said. I don't really know anything about them. Have fun finding eggs and hatching all those babies! Be careful with the Bingo Bum though. That sounds painful!
lol.png

LOL !!!!! It's a curse !!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN !!!!!!!!! QUICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a few hours from the boarder (I think) come on down i'll give yah some eggs !!!!!!

Quote:
Hehe, I was thinking about saying no, but my whole body said yes! My arms were open before my brain could say "What the hell do you need that for?!!?"

Ooohh goody! I'd love to come smuggle some eggs across the boarder! Hehe wouldn't be the first time. What kind you got and how much?!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hehe, I was thinking about saying no, but my whole body said yes! My arms were open before my brain could say "What the hell do you need that for?!!?"

Ooohh goody! I'd love to come smuggle some eggs across the boarder! Hehe wouldn't be the first time. What kind you got and how much?!
big_smile.png

HEHE..... Its not smuggling its baking (a lot of cakes, for the holidays) LOL, Right now the barred rocks are laying !!!!! Let me know how many you want and I'll start saving (you could look at it like a foliage seeing trip).... As far as price goes make me an offer (pretty much what ever you wanna give me) !!!!

Quote:

big_smile.png

HEHE..... Its not smuggling its baking (a lot of cakes, for the holidays) LOL, Right now the barred rocks are laying !!!!! Let me know how many you want and I'll start saving (you could look at it like a foliage seeing trip).... As far as price goes make me an offer (pretty much what ever you wanna give me) !!!!

How far are you from Lexington, Michigan? My aunt lives there and will be coming down on Saturday, she could just bring them with her.
big_smile.png
I don't know how much eggs are worth, I've never been able to buy any. So you'll have to let me know.

lau.gif
jumpy.gif
Must ba a curse!
wee.gif
send it to me right away or you will have nightmares for two years!
ya.gif
barnie.gif

In reality though, yes you can hatch more than one kind in it. Just remember how many days for each kind to move to the hatching tray.
congrats on the super gift!

There are a few canadian ebayers with eggs. Eggs can be shipped from the USA with the proper paperwork. Best bet from the USA is through a hatchery. McMurray won't ship to Canada I read. They will ship to a USA town on the border and you come drive them across.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! Can't find any on ebay canada right now, checked there right away lol.
I checked McMurrays, but its the wrong time of year for eggs from them.
barnie.gif

And I've only got one hen laying right now, but she's eating the darn eggs before I get to them. She lays them between 1am and 4am.....stupid chicken! lol
*Runs outside to install lighting system in barn*

Just keep track of your electric usage when you incubate for a cycle or two - that way you will know if it's a good thing or not. We found with our sportsman it is worth it. we paid $50 for 100 hatching eggs, and incubating costs were $45 for electic for that month. Well worth it in my opnion to go bigger if you can.

Back
Top Bottom