??? Just before eggs are to hatch....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MTtroutwithwings, May 28, 2008.

1. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    I've noticed with a lot pic of members posting their hatching in progress that there is either some sort of wash cloth, paper towel, or the eggs are actually in an egg flat while the eggs are hatching?
    Obviously this helps with the stability of the eggs during the hatch,
    any other reasons? I'm on my 3rd incubation of eggs, this time with Guineas and I do recall my previous hatches were one or two chicks would roll or bounce the other eggs around the bator before the hatch was complete forcing me to remove them to a brooder early on. Any more thoughts or ideas to this situation? My guineas are not due to hatch until June 13th so I want to be better prepared. Thanks! [​IMG]

Lori

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:If you put them in an egg carton it helps with the mess and the ones that have hatched are not pushing the ones that haved hatched yet. The paper towels help them so they have better footing.

3. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Thanks for the info. We candled the Guinea eggs last night (day 13) and it looks like we have 9 out of 12 growing. The 3 were not even fertile (no blood ring at all, totally clear) I'm currently hand turning, I'll move them into an egg carton when the turning stage stops and lay out the wire floor covering too. Hopefully this hatch will be a little more relaxing than the previous, it's nerve racking to watch them bump the other eggs around and getting their little toes stuck in the wire mesh of the bottom of the bator!

Lori [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I put mine in cartons right before hatching... I used cheesecloth on the wire bottom so they would not get tangled in the holes.. worked great! Make sure you place them in the carton small end down with the air cell up top! I was very happy with how it worked out [​IMG]

5. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:Wow! keep the suggestions coming! I have 15 day to go! I'm am curious though, wouldn't the chicks talons get caught in the threads of the cheesecloth or are they still too soft?

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I was worried about that, but I had no problems. I think the humidity really helps it to stick to the wire floor.

7. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    me too I use cheese cloth works great and also helps with clean up grab the corners pull it up and toss it! Good Luck.

8. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Thanks again Angie,

I'll try all that this time around!

Lori

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Some put the eggs into the cartons (paper with slit cut in bottom) from the start and use a board (2x4 I believe) to tip the whole carton full. Just move the board from one end to the other each time. Saves on time the bator is open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by