1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just beginning the plans for a coop for our ten chicks...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blessedlife, Mar 20, 2012.

1. blessedlife

blessedlife New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    Michigan
    We currently have 6 pullets and 4 cornish...so as you may have guessed we'll be housing 6 girls for good, but wondered do I house them all together after their time in the brooder? Can I cram all ten in a house made for 6 for a month or two (planning on 18sq foot)? Another big issue we're looking into is ventilation, I read BYC article and many others, a little confusing how to properly ventilate without a breeze in the cold/ windy MI winters? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Ventilation vs. drafts. I put wire along the top edge of the walls of the coop I built. Very similar design to the Purina Coop. A door to the coop is roughly 2' by 2'. Part of the floor is wire. This provides plenty of ventilation. Air flows through easily. No odors accumulate. When the wind blows, it does not blow through the coop because there is no direct route for it.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by