1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just bought 4 baby chick half breed long island reds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by achillevassallo, Jan 23, 2015.

1. achillevassallo

achillevassallo New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Question: Can I feed them bread crumbs?

Is the lamp to close to the chicks?

Any suggestions on what to feed them?

How long should I leave lamp on for them?

Why haven't they eaten I've only had them for like an hour?

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
  3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    They need chick starter ASAP! If you can/t get it tonight, try finely chopped scrambled eggs. They need water asap and you will have to dip the beak of each chick into the water dish. the dish should be shallow with marbles or pebbles in it so they don't drown. Get a quart waterer so that you aren't refilling the dish every two hours. It's hard to tell whether the lamp is too close, the temp should be 95* in there but with an area where the chicks can move away if they are too hot. If they are all huddling together, they might be cold.
    Welcome to BYC! You can learn everything you need to know here! Good luck!

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Chick starter medicated with amprolium is what you need to feed them.

They need to be between 90-95 degrees, so if you have a thermometer stick it in the box and see what the temp is, too hot or too cold can kill them.

Each week you can lower the temperature by 5 degrees, most people accomplish this by raising the lamp a bit so it is farther away. They need heat until that weekly 5 degree decrease gets you down to ambient room temp.

How old are they? Chicks can go 4-5 days from hatch before eating, they are actually still digesting what is left of the egg yolk. If they are only a day or two old, you needn't worry just yet. You may need to show them how to eat and drink by dipping their beaks in the food and water so they get a taste of it. If they are too hot they may not eat either.

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

Good luck with your new chicks! I would definitely get chick starter feed as soon as possible. Bread should only be fed as a treat, and probably shouldn't be fed until they are older.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

The other posters have already given you some good advice. The correct feed for your chicks is a nutritional medicated chick starter. Chopped hard-boiled eggs will do in a pinch, but shouldn't be a long term solution. You can feed them some bread crumbs, but don't overdo it--bread crumbs should only be treats.

Good luck with them!

10. Stephyhankyou

Stephyhankyou Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    I hope u are doing ok. Saw your post. Lift your head up high, rejoyce your a child of the King.

So how many chickens do u have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by