Just Bought 5 Kg of Chick Starter. How Long will that Feed 10 Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silky_3699, Sep 23, 2011.

1. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    so i will have 10 chicks hatching very, very, very soon. so i bought 5 kg of chick starter. and how long will that feed all those hungry beaks for?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    come on guys! get your brains tickin. i know some of you's know the answer.[​IMG]

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Not long, perhaps a week if you are lucky once they start eating (they won't eat for the first couple of days after hatch). They are little piggies at that age.

4. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    oooooohrrrrr. c***!
    i was hoping to give them chick starter for a bit longer than that. well, i have plenty of old bread and weet bix.[​IMG]
    (we live 2 hrs out of town)

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    About as long as a box of Twinkies within reach of 6 teenaged males.

I'm thinking for my first 7 I used about 100lbs (45kg) before they could go on layer, if that helps.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm not sure what weet bix is, but old bread isn't a very good diet for young chicks.

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    If you have another option, such as gem bird feed or grower (versus medicated starter) you can feed that after the first weeks. It is cheaper and still has the higher protien level the chicks need. At least that's what I do... don't know if it's 'correct' or not. [​IMG]

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Bread is bad for young chicks, I only feed it to adult birds and in small amounts as a treat.

9. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    huh? my last chicks i had and i didn't have any chick starter they lived off bread and grew up to be healthy happy chicks.
    my grandma also gave her chicks bread, and many other people i know. nothing happens to them?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:I'm not sure what weet bix is, but old bread isn't a very good diet for young chicks.

weet bix is an australian breakfast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by