Just bought a hobby farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NoNameFarm, Oct 19, 2019.

1. NoNameFarm

NoNameFarm In the Brooder

Oct 19, 2019
    Hello all,
    We just bought a hobby farm. We weren't planning on getting chickens until next year but a friend of mine needs to rehome her rooster. Hes approx 1 yr old Orpington. He is apparently friendly and disease free. So we agreed to take the rooster friend.
    Here's my dilemma

1: Getting him some hens: I have someone that wants to give me a 1 yr old Bantam hen (she is being picked on by 5 Barred Rock hens). Is this a good idea?

2: Introductions: I've read a bunch on how to introduce new chickens to an existing flock but there isn't much info on introducing two single birds to each other. Is it the same principle? Quarantine for a week or two, then introduce visually for a week-ish, then introduce physically (+/- at night)?

3: If I can't get some more hens right away will the Rooster and the Bantam hen be okay until I can get some chicks and raise them in the Spring?

Go easy on us, we are new.
    Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    To be honest it is not a good idea to have one large breed(Orpington) rooster with a bantam ( small size) hen. She would be out of the frying pan(barred rock hens) and into the fire, being the only female with the rooster. He will be breeding her endlessly and with the big size/ weight difference - she could easily be injured.

A rooster can handle 10 hens. It would be better to have a few hens for him, and the banty hen going to someone who has banties.

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Agree, would pass on the bantam hen. Your rooster will want to be a busy guy once he's got hens.

When/If you do get (full size adult) hens, I would get all of your hens from the same place to help minimize the health issues that come with introducing birds from different homes.

OR, buy day old chicks now and house Mr. Roo where he can see and hear them --- but can't touch them for a while. Then he's got companions in the mean time while they grow. Those chicks will grow up there and their immune systems will adjust what is already in your soil at your new place and do fine.

If you go the adult hen route, those hens' immune systems will need to adjust to whatever you've got going on --- and if they're from multiple homes --- hen #1 might carry something that hen #2 was never exposed to and get quite sick - and so on. And it won't be because someone sold you a sick chicken - it's luck of the draw, what wild birds fly over home #1 that pooped in their yard -- that kind of thing.

So: my point is - if you buy adult hens, get them all from the same place. They will still go through some variety of adjustment depending on what's around your new place that they've never been exposed to, but that's better than the variables of hens from multiple places.

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    p.s. -- there are all kinds of good threads on quarantine etc. Sometimes you'll get better search results to BYC threads by doing a yahoo or google search - lots of good integration and quarantine info to be had.

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Your rooster is a large sized breed, so it's best that you get some large sized hen's for him! Good luck!

6. NoNameFarm

NoNameFarm In the Brooder

Oct 19, 2019
    Looks like I need to find my boy some sturdier ladies!

7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Honestly, I’d pass on getting the roo... you’ll always have to many, and with large Orpingtons, my roo beat up 9 hens all by himself... I would get a rooster younger, or the same age as your hens... in my experience, it help a lot with their demeanor. Welcome to BYC!

8. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Crowing

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    And at a year old- he's not done growing yet- he will still get bigger and heavier. So, I'd avoid Leghorns and other smaller breeds. The act of chicken mating is essentially the rooster standing on the hen's back with his full weight - so yes, sturdier ladies indeed!

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
  10. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    7361CC5F-5AFB-4F56-B8F4-160802320623.jpeg
    You have been given some good advice.

007Sean, Jac Jac, Eggs2chicks and 6 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: