Just bought and pooping blood???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frizzlefrazzle, Jun 21, 2010.

1. frizzlefrazzle

frizzlefrazzle New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Hello,

We just purchased several chicks this weekend and at least 2 of them is pooping out blood. We are new owners and not sure what to do. I have read to give them Corid liquid. Should I give them all the liquid? ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Are you feeding them medicated chick starter?

BTW--- [​IMG]

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    its to late for starter, do the med and put a small amount of dried milk in the feed, your birds most likely have cocci

the dried milk is the old timers remade for cocci

4. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    How bad is it? If its really bad like mine were (they were pooping straight blood) then go ahead and give them a few drops of pepto bismol. that will help stop the bleeding, and then treat the with Sulmet water (2 tbsp to the gallon). Leave them on it for about 3-4 days, or a day longer than when they stop pooping blood. MAKE SURE they drink some right away, so if you need to withhold water for a little while before you give it to them or syringe some down their throat.

Do it quickly, they can quickly decline! Then get them on medicated chick starter.

5. crystalchik

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    By the way, you can purchase Sulmet at any feed store and it is relatively cheap. Its also great to treat your entire flocks with about once a month or month and a half with adult birds. Chicks should be treated about every 3 weeks to one month. Same dosage for all.

6. frizzlefrazzle

frizzlefrazzle New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks everyone! I am feeding the medicated feed. Someone else said it could be stress from the move. I literally brought them home yesterday. Should I wait a day to see if it stops or is it safe to feed the meds even if they do not have cocci?

7. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    did you let the seller know? They might not know if they have lots of chicks.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    medecated chick feed is a preventive not a cure, if your birds are allready pooping blood that feed will not help, the dose of meds in it is very, very low

9. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Are they actually pooping blood? Or does it look more like this? [pic] Chickens sometimes shed the lining of their intestinal wall, and it's perfectly normal.

Check out this pictorial guide of chicken poop, normal and unhealthy: 4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

10. crystalchik

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    If chicks are pooping blood, it is not good. Plain and simple. They need to be treated. I highly doubt that the move made them have internal bleeding.
    You need to undertand that you can lose chicks very quickly from Coccidiosis, which is common in chicks and is one of the only causes of blood in the stool. Even traces of blood are early warnings of Cocci and they need to be treated, at least to be sure.
    Im not trying to be mean, but I dont want you to end up in the heartbraking situation like I did.

Just the other day, I bought a new bag of chick food and it was a different brand, I didnt know it wasnt medicated. Within 4 or 5 days after taking them off of the medicated food, I noticed 2 were lethargic, they werent in an area I could monitor droppings (big mistake). When I moved them, I noticed they were pooping blood severely, almost completely straight blood. I immediately put them on Sulmet, but while I was doing that, 2 died right in front of me after dripping blood. I was so devestated.
    The rest were pooping straight blood, but they were not quite as bad, and I was able to get them back with some Sulmet, egg to provide a source of vit B (for red blood cell production), electrolyte water, and Pepto. It took a few days, and I thought I was going to lose them, but it worked.

Dont let them get that far! Get your babies treated and them get them on medicated food! Give them some hardboiled egg too. They are little bodies and will lose vitality quickly when bleeding! Theres no time to lose...learn from my mistake! [​IMG]
    Even if they dont have Cocci, it doesnt hurt at all to treat them for it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by