just bought chickens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bug263, Jan 10, 2009.

1. bug263

bug263 New Egg

Jan 10, 2009
    My husband and I just bought 3 crested polish chickens 2 hens and a roo. We've done a lot of research but the only question we can't find an answer to is how long do we have to keep them in their new coop before we can let them out and them stay home. Our backyard is fenced but they can fly, advice?

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Keep them in the coop a week. Then let them out just before dusk, like half hour, with the coop light on. They will go out but not far, wanting to roost soon. Slowly add time to their freedom so they learn their yard, venturing further but getting in the good habit of returning to their coop for the night. Polish don't have great eyesight if they have really big top knots and they tend to be flighty so with them I would go slower than some other breeds.

3. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] for new chickens

My opinion (is just that) at aleast a week in your coop would be adequate for for them to know where home is. Lots of good info here at BYC and good advice also!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Welcome to the crazy world of chickens! I would leave the birds in their new coop for a week. This will give them time to get used to the change and begin to feel like it's home. After that I would let them out for a few hours at the end of the day so they get acclimated as far as yard and coop. After that, just lock them up safely at night and let them out all day. How high is your yard fence? I doubt you'll have a flying over the fence problem. I have my Polish in a 4' wire fence and they have never tried to get out. If there is a problem, just cut the long feathers off of one wing and they'll stop.

5. bug263

bug263 New Egg

Jan 10, 2009
    our fence is 4 ft. so they should be fine since they can't see well, one more question, should we have a ramp leading to our coop or will they fly in, it's 3 ft. off the ground?

6. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Quote:I don't know if you need a ramp or not, but many people just put a hinge at the bottom of the pop hole and then the ramp doubles as a door(keeping the predators out).

ETA: Oh and there are ways to automate the door opening and closing at sun up/down.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by