Just bought new chickens. how long to aclimatise?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by april-peanut, Apr 24, 2009.

1. april-peanut

april-peanut New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Queensland
    I have 4 chickens that i bought last sunday (19th april). i was wondering how long i have to keep them in their coop to get them aclimatised to their new home/environment. how many days/weeks do i keep them in their coop for, before i let them out to free range? or do i not have to wait?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would keep them in there for at least 6 or 7 days and then I'd stay real close the first day you let them out.

Do you have an enclosed run or will they be able to go anywhere?

3. april-peanut

april-peanut New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Queensland
    Thanks [​IMG]
    They will be able to go everywhere in my backyard. Is that bad? Should I make an enclosed run?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Up here we have to worry about chicken hawks and owls... I'm not certain of the predators that lurk down under. If you think they'll be safe, you are good to go, but like I said, I'd watch them alot for the first few outings.

I'd let them out the first time about an hour before sundown.. that way they'll want to go right back in to roost. Then the next day a couple of hours before sundown.

5. april-peanut

april-peanut New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Queensland
    Thanks for all that infornamtion, I'll definitely do that tomorrow [​IMG]

6. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I would say at the very least 6-7 days in the coop. but I wonder that because they will free range, will they come to you when you call them to roost? I would work with them A LOT to get them used to you, and get them to come when you call. it took us about 2 weeks when we got our girls, to get them used to us, and learn to come to us when we hollar (plus they put us calling them, and yummy treats in the same thought so that helped [​IMG] )congrats on the new girls! and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by