Just bought new chicks

neurohr

Hatching
7 Years
May 30, 2012
I just bought 4 australorp chicks last night, anxious to get started with them. I have 3 hens and 1 rooster all around 7 weeks old. What are pros and cons of the rooster? I read alot on here that people don't want them around?????? My plan is for eggs and meat and Im looking for any and all advice to help me along with these. Also I am free ranging them if that helps

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

You only need a rooster if you plan on hatching eggs. But many people like to have a rooster around, and there is no reason not to have one if you would like to keep one.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!
having a rooster makes a balanced flock. Roosters will protect there hens and will even sacrifice themselves to save there hens. They let the hens know if a predator if flying above them or approaching on ground. I personally think the hens are happy with have a leader.

Hello and :welcome

You don't need a rooster to produce eggs, although it's nice to have one I suppose. I live in the city so I've never owned a rooster, and my hens seem ok with it. :p

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replys and advice. So far so good, my dogs arent eating them. I almost bought some oystershells today for the chick, but found out its too early for them. This is a new experiance for me, I also bought a 7 week old pig, trying to live off my land. it has been interesting so far, and also rewarding already. Love going out and checking on them all and learning as I go.

Back
Top Bottom