Just bought new hens, are they egg eaters???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Mar 2, 2009.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I just got 7 new hens Saturday night. One is a pullet and she isn't laying yet. So I have the 6 that are older hens of varying breeds. I got 3 eggs yesterday. I was surprised because I thought they'd need longer to adjust. Well, today I noticed that all of them except the pullet were ready to lay. All of them were trying to lay on top of eachother. I got 3 eggs. I noticed one was in the nesting area. I left for a short time and came back and she was eating something but I didn't know what. I checked no egg but she acted like she had laid. The same goes for two other hens. THey are acting like they laid and I saw that they were trying to lay before I went inside and there is no eggs. Did I just buy egg layers? I see no residue or egg shells. I see nothing. Its like they all wanted to lay and then suddenly they're just all pecking at the ground and acting normal. What do I do?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    If the hen in question was actually eating an egg, you might have not found any eggshells, since hens routinely eat the shells also. Next time, check the bottom of the nest to see if it's damp, and if there is residual eggwhite or yolk left. Another way to determine if a hen is eating eggs is to check the feathers around her neck and upper body. Often there will be dried eggyolk on these feathers. Egg eaters are nearly impossible to break, although some have had success by fooling them with golf balls or fake wooden or ceramic eggs. I have had the best luck by taking about 1/4" off their upper beak. Some think that this is cruel, but it works, and allows me to keep the hen.

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    wow I hope you dont have egg eaters. I was just telling hubby yesterday if you ever see a hen eating a egg grab her and snap her neck or chop her head off. He looked at me like I was crazy and said hed never do that. but I will I wont keep a egg eater. my hens have a good life they can atleast supply eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by