Just bought silkies and...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by whitneyx3, Mar 30, 2017.

1. whitneyx3

whitneyx3 Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    California
    So I bought the silkies from a breeder and when I picked up today the painted one has a weird thing on his/her back.. just wondering if anyone knows what it is...he/she isn't active like the other one it came with just laying down.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Did you ask the person you bought it from?

3. whitneyx3

whitneyx3 Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    California
    She had no clue it was there apparently.. but took the chick to the vet and he said it was a scab from an injury and it was infected plus extremely underweight..

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It does look like a scab, you should tell the person you bought her from in case she ends up deceased so you could either get a refund or another one (because sometimes silkies can be expensive,dont know how much you spent though) Did the vet give her anything? Is she doing okay?

5. whitneyx3

whitneyx3 Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    California
    Yeah she's doing better thankfully! Yes the vet said it was a scab and gave me some medication to give her plus used blu kote to help since she was trying to peck it. My only concern is that it goes away since it's so big and bumpy [​IMG].. thanks for your concern though [​IMG]!

6. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    Most of the times scabs like that will eventually heal. My silkie rooster has recovered from some pretty significant predator attacks and he heals up nicely. Just give it some time.

7. Talithahorse

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    Oh and welcome to BYC. Glad you have joined us.

8. whitneyx3

whitneyx3 Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    California
    Glad your little one healed! Do you have pictures of your rooster? I'd love to see! And I hope so, I'm curious to see what gender I have (silkie wise).. all the following pictures are all my silkies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Talithahorse

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    [​IMG]Not the best picture but here he is. He is 9 years old.

1 person likes this.
  10. Talithahorse

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. I seem to get fooled every year or so. Especially the ones that are late in the fall and so the "hens" winter over... then in the spring I notice those hens are crowing... ah well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by