Just broke up a dog fight. Neighborly help needed :)

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
my daughter was walking our dog on his leash when the neighbors dogs were let out. These 3 are usually nice enough dogs, except the rotty just had puppies and has been a bit witchy. Long story short, my dog apparently thought the other dogs were going to harm her so he put himself in the middle. By the time I heard what was going on, it went from our yard to the neighbors yard as the lil daughter was dragged around before she could get her hand out of the leash. I gave him the command to stop and once he did, the rott and other 2 spaniel types did as well.

About 12 bites cleaned later I found out I don't have enough gauze pads and I couldn't find my stitch kit on a moments notice. So imagine the horrified looks as I go to the pharmacy then to the TSC to find what I need covered in dog blood I thought I cleaned off myself...
th.gif

I apologized to the neighbors, the gal there didn't seem too upset, just shaken (probably about how fast it got ugly). She said their dogs seemed fine. I was worried because it looked like he was giving more than he was taking.

Here's the rub.. they never contain their dogs. They run both my property and theirs. Usually this isn't a problem, but I've told them my dog is a trained protection dog. His training only goes so far...... so as far as being friendly to strange dogs... I've never actually encouraged him to be friendly with other dogs for obvious reasons. I think this whole incident could have been prevented if they had a lead line or a tie out instead of all 3 booking for the driveway setting my dog off..... Sigh... there is no real villian here from what I can see, but since my dog got first bite so to speak I am going to offer to cover their vet bills if they need any, or offer to care for their wounds if they have any.

Maybe I am just upset, but if it wasn't my only neighbors... And it was 3 stray dogs that ran and provoked that attack, I would have shot them. As it is, I know my neighbors have the property surrounding mine and their unleashed dogs run down deer and rabbits. These are real nice folks but I am thinking about asking them to leash their dogs for the safety of all as well as not ruining a friendship? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ask them to leash their dogs... you have a loaded situation there. Someone could get hurt...

Bummer deal Boyd!

I don't think I would offer to pay for vet bills. Their dogs came running at your daughter and dog. He protected her. Enough said. Maybe they will confine their dogs now.

Glad to hear how handy you are, part time vet can get added to your list of attributes!

Don't offer to pay for anything...that is the same thing as admitting guilt, and you did nothing wrong, neither did DD or your dog. He was protecting his girl, and their dogs were seen as a threat, which they could have been, dogs are much keener to these things than we are, and he could have picked up something in their body language that a person wouldn't have seen until it was too late. Your dog was leashed, you are not at fault here.

I think she should've had her dogs contained. I probably wouldn't have offered to pay vet bills for loose dogs.

This is a topic I get pretty hot over - the 4 neighbors houses that are closest to mine ALL let their dogs roam free and their dogs are not nice. A pack of 5 ankle-biters cornered my son in MY yard this week and I about went ballistic. If I could've I would've drop kicked them all back into their yard and I wouldn't have offered a red cent towards their vet bills.

Quote:
I know, but it techniqually started on their driveway as the dogs ran at my daughter, he pulled her off her feet and met them in the driveway (the property line between us is 1' from the edge of their driveway) so it sorta kinda is our fault as much as theirs.

Part time vet? Naw, I just had dogs n horses n little critters growing up. We always took care of minor stuff, because it was less expensive that way. I'm just glad so far 3 of their dogs don't need stitches, shots... .. ... ...

Gave beast the wonder mutt a xanax split to his body weight, and he's groggy enough for me to re-do his bandage later on.

Quote:
I didn't offer to pay yet.. it was a thought...

and in general, if it was ANYONE else other than them, I would have blasted the dogs off of mine.

Question:
Would you be this calm if you daughter had been taken down in the middle of the fight?

I could have easily happend and lucky she was not!
Just ask them to leash their dogs so no human or dog gets hurt again

Quote:
that i figured would be appropriate.. but I am seeing a general consensus that I take care of mine, they take care of theirs... And that's my initial reaction as well.

Quote:
I'm not sure I see how any fault could be yours. You dogs were leashed and in your yard. Their dogs came running and yours met them halfway. The property line doesn't decide responsibility, the fact that their dogs are never contained should.

If anything, they owe you for any vet bills and need to rectify their dog keeping situation. A small child was dragged along with your dog? That's trouble you don't want happening again.

Back
Top Bottom